Advanced search

Just had a joint of beef from ASDA

(45 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Sun 29-May-05 21:47:51

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Sun 29-May-05 21:48:30

Eeew - sounds horrid!

Janh Sun 29-May-05 21:49:24

Get a rib roast next time, YG - on or off the bone - much nicer.

Flossam Sun 29-May-05 21:49:50

Oh, that dosen't sound nice! I always have an issue with asda stuff. I prefer tesco's, but asda has the fish counter..... god my life is sooo complicated! Could you complain?

Janh Sun 29-May-05 21:50:32

Sainsburys has the best meat (and ready meals)

Yorkiegirl Sun 29-May-05 21:50:58

Message withdrawn

tabitha Sun 29-May-05 21:51:24

Don't mention Asda to me. I decided to try their internet shopping - stuff was supposed to arrive between 6 & 8pm.....and I'm still waiting
Never again!

Flossam Sun 29-May-05 21:54:22

Have you rung them? Tescos did that to me and there had been a problem with my card (? entered the wrong details) so they just didn't turn up. No phone call, no e mail. No sunday roast.

tabitha Sun 29-May-05 21:56:27

Yep, phoned at quarter past eight and was told that deliveries were running late but that my order had left the store and would be with me soon. Have just phoned again and girl is checking with store to see what's happening. Says she'll call me back in ten minutes.

LGJ Sun 29-May-05 22:00:18

Sorry to sound boring....................

But meat should be purchased from a butcher......

Supermarkets hang their meat for nano seconds, real butchers hang it for at least 3 - 4 weeks.

QED

Yorkiegirl Sun 29-May-05 22:01:17

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Sun 29-May-05 22:02:12

and I never have the money to be able to afford the butchers........

Yorkiegirl Sun 29-May-05 22:03:07

Message withdrawn

Janh Sun 29-May-05 22:03:15

Sainsburys do the Taste the Diff Jamie Oliver meat (properly hung) which is fab although horrendously expensive; but their ordinary meat (esp from the meat counter) is good too. Try them, YG.

Janh Sun 29-May-05 22:04:05

NB topside and silverside is generally v lean and not tender. Rib roast much better (and ribeye steak for barbecuing).

Rowlers Sun 29-May-05 22:04:30

Don't like Asda or Morrisons.
If I can, always try to get to Sainsbuggers.
Don't like butchers. Can't choose my own meat and always pay through the nose.
Morrisons has to be the worst. Horrid shop.
Hi by the way!

Yorkiegirl Sun 29-May-05 22:04:56

Message withdrawn

LGJ Sun 29-May-05 22:05:01

Not being funny, but a bought, then frozen joint from a good butcher would taste better........than allegedly fresh from a supermarket.

Will post this anyway, but apologise in advance, I would appear to be in bossy cow mode

Flossam Sun 29-May-05 22:07:16

I try to get mine from butchers, and fruit and veg from fruit and veg shop, even though it means going out of my way. Went there last week, they had an offer on strawberries. Ummed and ahhed, decided if I could find a packet that weren't too ripe I'd get the deal. Looked through the strawberries. Became aware that the woman at the tills was watching me, and glanced up at her. She said, 'They're all the same you know' Thought I'd make a joke of it, I said 'Oh I know I'm fussy', made my selection and started walking away. She tutted and stormed over 'You've ruined my display now' (comprising of two or three boxes at ascew). Apologised and tried to put it right, carried on with my shopping. Was just wondering if I'd get in trouble for seperating the number of bananas I'd require when I heard her moaning about it to the girl next to her 'It's two for a pound for god sake' I put my stuff back and left and don't intend to return. I have tried to support my local shops but don't expect to be treated like dirt in return.

Yorkiegirl Sun 29-May-05 22:07:44

Message withdrawn

bubblerock Sun 29-May-05 22:09:54

YG rong Asda customer services, they were really good with us, I ordered a sandwich toaster along with my shopping and when it arrived it was a regular toaster?!? I rang them and they refunded me and told me to keep the toaster!

Anyone want a toaster?

LGJ Sun 29-May-05 22:11:32

YG

Ignore me, I have my bossy head on, strokes for folks.

Rowlers Sun 29-May-05 22:11:43

My local butcher always make me feel like an idiot when I go in.
And he's very expensive.
My palate doesn't taste that much difference I'm afraid but I don't buy the cheapo supermarket stuff.
Buy fish instead. Much better for you.

SPARKLER1 Sun 29-May-05 22:13:29

I bought a rack of ribs from Asda's hot meat counter once. Took it home. Tucked into it and pulled out a big piece of greaseproof type paper from inside it. Someone had obviously forgotten to remove it before it was cooked. I took it back down the next day and they gave me a full refund plus shopping vouchers to apologise.

Gwenick Sun 29-May-05 22:13:34

strokes for folks

Not at all LGJ - I'd LOVE to be able to afford to buy meat from the butchers - the heart is willing................but the wallet (And the bank) isn't

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now