Talk

Advanced search

Egg fried rice..

(8 Posts)
inVlanderen Mon 24-Aug-09 12:54:53

I tried making it (fried some boiled rice, added one beaten egg with soy) but the rice just clumped up.

How do I keep the individual grains? Just rinse the boiled rice in cold water before frying? Or was it just over-boiled to begin with?!

nannynick Mon 24-Aug-09 17:59:43

Wash the rice to start with, that can help remove some of the starch. Best to wash, drain, wash, drain. If when draining that time it is still coloured... then wash and drain again.

Put the rice and clean water in a pan (with a good fitting lid). Bring to the boil, then turn off. Leave it alone for at least 15 minutes.

For Egg fried rice, it is best to chill the cooked rice before frying it. VideoJug: Egg Fried Rice is a great instructional video and the result tastes great.

inVlanderen Wed 26-Aug-09 09:56:55

Many thanks for that! I´m looking forward to trying it out again!

mumzy Sat 03-Oct-09 19:39:47

Agree with Nanny the secret is perfectly cooked rice thats been allowed to cool down and chilled in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Heat a good couple of tablespoons of oil in a pan or wok until very hot add the beaten egg (but no soy) and scramble it until cooked through. Then add the very cold rice to the hot pan and eggs and break the rice up with your spatula until the rice is thoroughly heated through Make sure you stir the eggs and rice all the time. Turn off the heat and then add about 4 teaspoons of soy sauce a little salt and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar at the end and mix it through the rice. Enjoy!

IWantToLiveOnAFarm Sat 03-Oct-09 19:40:57

Just getting on here as I want to learn how to make egg fried rice.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 03-Oct-09 19:45:07

Cook your rice, drain, rinse and then chill.

When you're ready to make the egg fried rice (and don't leave the cooked rice for long as there are horrible bacteria that grow in it!), dice an onion and fry it in a wok/frying pan, in groundnut/sunflower oil (i.e. a tasteless oil).

When it has softened a little, add a couple of tablespoons of frozen peas, and fry till they're cooked. Then tip in the rice and stir fry the whole lot for a minute. Then make a space in the middle of the rice and pour in a beaten egg.

Leave it to set for about 30-45 seconds, then stir it into the rice.

The final thing before you serve it is a good 'joosh' of soy sauce. (Technical term, obviously). Probably about half to one tablespoon. Not too much, it's just a gentle seasoning you're after.

HTH

annoyingdevil Mon 26-Oct-09 13:01:02

Don't forget a dash of sesame oil at the end (for an authentic chinese flavour)

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 27-Oct-09 14:54:27

Peanut oil is a v nice oil for this as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now