Talk

Advanced search

oblong or square cake tin

(3 Posts)
Carameli Sun 23-Aug-09 12:05:25

dd having big 6th birthday party and I wanted to bake her cake as she want Hannah Montana pictures on it.

Wanted to get some new silicon bakeware but wondering if I will get enough use afterwards with a big oblong one or would it be better to go square.

was looking at the Jamie Oliver silicone bakeware but jut not sure if I would get enough use in the future of big oblong one. I guess they can also be used for brownies etc.

any experiened bakers out there

silverwoodhelpdesk Wed 02-Sep-09 10:02:07

Without wishing to get too commercial, a Multisize Cake Pan, available a Lakeland, Hohn Lewis and all good cookshops, will do any size of square or oblong cake from 1" sq to 12" sq, and any variation in between. OK, it's not Silicon, but is anodised aluminium which conducts heat fantastically. It folds down into a box 12" x12" x 1" and can be used for anything. You could even chuck out all your other square/oblong cake pans.

MrsBadger Wed 02-Sep-09 10:08:58

hmm

I did a big cake recently for dd's birthday and just used two 20x30cm shallow tins - they are the same ones we use for doing oven chips etc but are technically 'swiss roll tins'.

6 egg sponge mix, half in each tin, bake, cool, sandwich together with jam - cuts into about 24, more if you are stingy, and gives a more-or-less A4 oblong sponge ideal for cutting into a shape, putting pictures etc on

we use those tins much more than we would special cake tins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now