Talk

Advanced search

A few veggie dinners questions please

(43 Posts)
janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 13:20:21

Have a few questions, so thought I'd whack them all in together. Tia.

1) Has anybody got a good recipe for a veggie pasta bake, which doesn't involve tinned tomatoes or mushrooms please?

2) Any good veggie slowcooker recipes?

3) What's your absolute favourite family veggie main course?

4) Has anybody made any of Simon Rimmer's veggie recipes?

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 13:43:46

You can do a macaroni cheese with vegetables (I've got nice cranks recipe).

Not sure if it's absolute favourite, but the Cranks veg crumble always goes down well.

(I've got Cranks recipe books, and Rose Elliot, but always turn to Cranks first).

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 13:46:30

Argh - veggie crumble. Haven't made one of those for about 20 years! Off to see if I can find a recipe. Cheers!

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 13:47:37

Found it here and it looks good - but what could I use instead of tomatoes?

mufti Sat 22-Aug-09 13:51:09

i have a crumble recipe in a book , only uses fresh toms which im sure you could omit
uses stock and cider for liquid

also a pasta bake with courgettes and sweetcorn in a white sauce
could type them out if if like

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 13:55:43

Thanks Mufti. No need to type them out - just looking for inspiration! You think I could just leave the tomatoes and not replace with anything?

mufti Sat 22-Aug-09 13:58:21

yes, i dont see why not as it uses fresh ones chopped so its not for the liquid, you get that from the cider and stock
my favourite main courses are mushroom risotto, moussaka, with quorn mince,
stew, with or without quorn chunks
dh is a good cook and he is a confirmed carnivore sadly

NumptyMum Sat 22-Aug-09 14:05:33

Yes - with veggie crumble, you could just use veg stock cubes (you can get 'french onion' stock cubes too). You can make it a creamy sauce by adding a bit of milk. The good thing about veg crumble is that you make the 'filling' first, so can taste-test as you go and add soy sauce or marmite to pack a bit more punch if required. I keep wanting to type 'add mushrooms', but see that is in your 'banned list' above...

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 14:19:12

Lovely - thank you! Yes, mushrooms are banned by both girls, although dp and I both eat them.

I don't like quorn, although the girls do.

Cider in a stock sounds good.

Blackduck Sat 22-Aug-09 14:33:22

Simon Rimmer veggie stuff is LOVELY!!

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 14:34:30

Ooh - what do you recommend, Blackduck?

ThePinkOne Sat 22-Aug-09 14:43:14

I made a slow cooker stew yesterday (it actually had sausages in but you could use veggie ones or leave out). It was basically all the veg in the fridge cut into chunks - carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers - and a tin of mixed beans (drained) and a tin of baked beans. I added a little bit of water but didn't really need stock or anything.

I also do a similar one with chilli in.

Another fave veggie recipe is courgette frittata, served with salad/fried potatoes/baked beans.

I also make a pasta bake with a tn of condensed soup. You just add milk and any veg/meat/fish then stir together and put cheese on top. The mushroom soup makes a lovely pasta bake and although dd doesn't like mushrooms she does eat this. I think it's probably the texture she really doesn't like.

And mexican dishes like fajitas and enchilladas are good veggie either made with beans or just veg or if you are into quorn I suppose you could use that.

I'm an avid meat eater by the way!!

Blackduck Sat 22-Aug-09 15:14:50

I have the seasoned vegetarian and love he curry/spicy stuff in there...
the mushroom pies are wonderful (thou' I note mushrooms are banned!).
On the basis of what I have tried I would have a go at any of his recipes that take your fancy as everything I have done has been really nice, and people have commented on the food!

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 15:19:21

Thanks both.

Am fancying the hotpots Pinkduck and did think that the mushroom and stilton pies looked yummy (maybe for a night without the children).

Pinkone - yes, fajitas are a v good idea and frittata. Sorry but the idea of using soup to make a sauce makes me shudder a bit!

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 15:20:25

BLACKduck! Sorry.

Blackduck Sun 23-Aug-09 22:39:34

I cannot recommend those mushroom and stilton pies enough - they are so yummy!! and so quick and easy....even my totally meating eating father loved them!!

Potato and chickpea one is good as is the kidney bean and lentil dish (may need to tone down the chilli...)

janeite Mon 24-Aug-09 14:31:24

Thanks - will get rid of the girls for an evening and have the mushroom pies!

Any more, folks?

OhBling Tue 25-Aug-09 11:03:26

Are you anti tomatos at all times, or just for the pasta bake option?

We love a pepper, chickpea and butternut "curry" - but it has tomatoes in it as well. Fry the peppers with some onion, add curry powerd,cumin and coriander, stir it all up then add stock, butternut, chickpeas and fresh tomatoes and simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve with yoghurt/tzatiki on the side.

Stuffed butternut is quite popular with us too - stuffed with a variety of things. Ricotta and sage is nice. As is a bit of couscous/rice and sweetcorn and parmesan. Or spinach, garlic and creme fraiche.

Roasted tomatoes in pasta is good (again, only if you can eat tomatoes).

Soup always goes down well at our house and we have about 4 different butternut soup recipes we try at different times. I also do a fabulous lentil soup which is delicious, and cheap. Or spinach and pea is good too.

Roasted vegetables with couscous is nice and we do that relatively often in summer either as a side dish at a bbq or a main meal.

janeite Tue 25-Aug-09 17:19:59

Thank you Oh Bling.

I am anti-tomatoes much of the time - curry sounds lovely. I tend to use passata or yoghurt to make a curry sauce (passata is okay as it's the lumps I object to!).

The dds love butternut squash too, so thanks for reminding me about that. Oh and we virtually live on lentil soup, as it's so easy and everybody loves it.

nickelbabe Tue 25-Aug-09 17:24:48

we allowed dairy?

my all time favourite is cauliflower cheese: but i always add lots of different veg to the cauliflower (and make a real cheese sauce)
last time i had cauli, onion, courgette and runner beans in it. (changes season to season)

janeite Tue 25-Aug-09 17:30:17

I lurve 'coffilower cheese' as it's called in this house but the dds won't eat it - grrrrr.

mufti Tue 25-Aug-09 17:47:18

i love broccoli cheese, with crusty bread

janeite Tue 25-Aug-09 17:52:42

Now dd2 doesn't like cauliflower but does like cheese and brocolli, so she would like brocolli cheese. Unfortunately dd1 doesn't like cheese and I don't like brocolli!

BikeRunSki Tue 25-Aug-09 17:57:58

Watching with interest - veggie and going back to work next week, considering buying a slow cooker.

janeite Tue 25-Aug-09 18:01:19

Bikerunski - I have made veggi chilli, veggie curry and lentil soup in the slow cooker v successfully - and veggie sausage casserole less successfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now