Talk

Advanced search

how to get fish skin super crispy melt in the mouth like in restaurants??

(8 Posts)
deaconblue Fri 21-Aug-09 19:41:13

please

MissisBoot Fri 21-Aug-09 19:42:14

roll it in seasoned flour before frying in butter - ta da!

deaconblue Fri 21-Aug-09 19:46:27

ok tonight have cooked sea bass which I coated in seasoned flour and fried in olive oil. Edges of skin good, rest gross. Will try butter. thought my pan was really hot but wondering if maybe not hot enough?

MissisBoot Fri 21-Aug-09 19:52:07

no - olive oil won't get hot enough - its too thick an oil.

definitely a decent size knob butter and a hot pan!

deaconblue Fri 21-Aug-09 19:56:37

fantastic, will try butter next time

DabRac Thu 27-Aug-09 20:24:59

Don't fry it, grill it.

hairymelons Thu 27-Aug-09 20:36:38

Missisboot tisn't true I'm afraid. Butter and oil can both get equally hot.

Oil is better for crispy skin because butter contains water and milk solids and therefore makes the skin soggy/ burns.

For crispy skin you need to pat the fish skin dry on some kitchen paper, add a glug of oil to a medium-hot pan then place skin side down. To get the skin evenly crispy all over, press the fish down with a fish slice straightaway. Keep pressed down for a minute until it stops curling up.

It's better to go medium-hot for a bit longer than really f-ing hot for a couple of minutes so the skin has time to crisp up all the way through without turning black. You can cook the fish most of the way through with the skin side down then just turn last minute to finish off.

Am a food geek, apologies if you've now lost the will to live let alone fry fish

hairymelons Thu 27-Aug-09 20:38:24

p.s. it you like the taste of fried butter, add a knob last minute before taking the fish out of the pan. Tres bon as a sauce with lemon juice, chopped parsley and capers. Sorry, couldn't help adding that. Will stop now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now