Talk

Advanced search

What healthy packed lunch can I do for a toddler that has no dairy, no eggs and no ham

(18 Posts)
HelterSkelter Thu 20-Aug-09 22:24:44

Dairy he's allergic too, eggs he doesn't like and ham I don't give too often for the bad stuff in it.

Today he had salmon fillet(!), carrot sticks, some bread and fruit. I do chicken sandwiches sometimes and occasionally hummous, which he's not very keen on, for dipping. Would be very grateful for any other ideas that aren't too complicated.

LadyoftheBathtub Thu 20-Aug-09 22:28:55

You can put hummous in a sandwich or wrap with other stuff like cucumber or peppers (or the carrots)
Tuna sandwich - maybe not mayo but you could mash it up with a bit of olive oil.
Sausage sandwich with ketchup.
Peanut butter?

HelterSkelter Thu 20-Aug-09 22:41:18

Can't do peanut butter til 5yrs because of the allergy sensitivity.
I don't like tuna (and we share the lunches). Trying to save sausages for a once in a blue moon sausages chips beans and peas night (this saturday as it happens!).
Thanks for your ideas though.

simpson Thu 20-Aug-09 22:45:04

carrot sticks, marmite sandwich, fruit, bread sticks, rice cakes

Am racking brain...DD (18mths) is dairy, soya, oats intolerant but ok with egg so i feel your pain sad

yes as mentioned before DD loves sliced cucumber and peppers.

simpson Thu 20-Aug-09 22:46:30

Just had a thought...would he eat egg fried rice?

It is a big hit here and he may not realise it has egg in iyswim and you can put veg ie peas, sweetcorn, peppers, cherry toms in it.

simpson Thu 20-Aug-09 22:48:26

sorry am on a roll here grin

What about frittata?

i know it has egg in but again he may not notice <hopeful>

I tend to put bacon, onion, pepper, small pasta shapes, potato and egg in it.

Tis yummy cold grin

StirlingTheTired Thu 20-Aug-09 22:50:17

My DD is allergic to dairy, egg etc and she gets ham sometimes (I am not so worried about it!) and then she gets Tesco Brussells pate which she loves - she would have it every day.

Personally I find pate too strong but their normal brussells pate is dairy and egg free.

I also make her wraps using taramasalata smeared over (egg & dairy free) and then lots of salad, like, grated carrot, shredded lettuce and chopped cucumber. I sometimes do this with pate smeared over the wraps. Just wrap up and cut in half. My dd loves the different colours in it smile

simpson Thu 20-Aug-09 22:50:21

what milk does he drink? Can you make a pancake out of it?

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Thu 20-Aug-09 22:50:48

vegan lunchbox
maybe plough through here for ideas? the woman is clearly Off Her Head but she's a bloody good cook.

me little ones loves cold pasta with pesto.

ravenAK Thu 20-Aug-09 23:03:47

Quorn slices occasionally? Although no better than ham for bad stuff in 'em.

Roast beef? again you can buy it sliced if you don't eat roast meat as a family.

Could you do a sliceable veggie roast sometimes? I've got a lentilly recipe somewhere, a kidney bean based one & another which is mostly carrots & wild rice.

They're all fairly painless to make provided you can do them as a family meal with leftovers for lunchbox.

hophophippidtyhop Fri 21-Aug-09 17:05:35

how about ratatouille with rice or pasta?

HelterSkelter Fri 21-Aug-09 21:27:35

I don't like marmite, and taramaslata (and i didn't think i was picky about food til now!) but will retry it - the taramasalata at least. I am beginning to think i should revist the wrap + spready dip idea though.

Will definitely try eggy rice!
Have tried frittata - he knew!
He does eat pate & i like it but i think it's got the same bad stuff as ham in it.
Like the veggie roast and ratatouille idea as lunch -> leftovers.
Loved the link - I don't think our neck of the wood has ever seen a plantain!
Maybe a chunky soup with dippy bread...
Right, i'm on a roll (!), thank you for all your ideas!

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Fri 21-Aug-09 21:49:28

i make a mackerel pate that my dds wolf down, it's just cream cheese and mackerel mashed a bit, with a squeeze of lemon (and some horseradish sauce but that's if i have it in the house). i reckon you could make that with marg instead of the cheese? or whizz some chicken leftovers with non-dairy margarine? i bet it wouldn't be as revolting as it sounds. grin

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Fri 21-Aug-09 21:50:25

also we make our tuna mayo with grated carrot and grated (squeezed) cucumber. and a splodge of greek yog which i know is out but you could experiment?

HelterSkelter Fri 21-Aug-09 22:18:18

Mackerel pate is a great idea. we eat a fair bit of mackerel. Yes, you are getting me thinking! thank you!

simpson Fri 21-Aug-09 22:24:16

we also eat a lot of tinned sardines.

On toast or mixed in with pasta.

I hate it but DD loves it <odd child>

simpson Fri 21-Aug-09 22:25:48

Forgot to mention the large rice cakes you can buy are used a lot here with hummous on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now