Talk

Advanced search

Ooh i've never ventured in here...Looking for help with choosing a menu for people coming for dinner please experts

(24 Posts)
IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 10:24:51

It's SIL husbands birthday next month and as we share the same babysitter I have said come here for a meal.
I love cooking but not sure what to cook.
It's his 30th so we are wanting to make a bit of a fuss for him so SIL is going to buy some decorations for my house and I am cooking.
But what??? I'm a pretty competant cook just inspirationally challenged a lot of the time.

HarryB Wed 19-Aug-09 10:29:34

How many will you be catering for? If more than 6 people, I tend to do a one pot type meal such a chilli con carne, and serve with rice, tortilla, salad and the usual dips.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 19-Aug-09 10:29:43

I had a very simple but lovely starter last month at a friends, it was prawns cooked with garlic, chilli, lemon and ginger on toasted ciabaitta [sp] and was very tasty. Its a jamie oliver one.

Do you share a favourite cocktail? I took mojoito sorbert with me which went down very well. grin

Can you find out some of his fav foods and try to bring that in?

ComeOVeneer Wed 19-Aug-09 10:33:03

Seared scallops with bacon on a bed of rocket with a balsamic vinegar reduction

Rosemary chicken in a tomato sauce with a side salad and crusty bread

Vanilla pannacotta with a raspberry coulis.

chimchar Wed 19-Aug-09 10:34:29

do you know...when i go for food at peoples houses, i would like to have a nice tasting meal (obviously!) but what i like the most, is spending nice, relaxed time with my friends, so for me, the easier the meal for the host, the better.

how about a great homemade curry (jamie does nice ones) or a yummy lasagne, with a big gooey chocolate cake (with candles!) and cream for afters, with lots of wine or nice non alcoholic posh stuff, with cocktails to start, and good coffee afterwards....

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 19-Aug-09 10:34:30

ComeOveneer that chicken sounds lovely, may I have the recipe.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 10:38:50

It will be for wither the 4 of us or maybe one more couple so 4-6 people.
He will eat anything he is not fussy and has no particular favourite.
I am not keen on eafood although will eat it and enjoy it quite like the sound of the prawns though loads of other flavours as well.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 19-Aug-09 10:40:00

Chicken stuffed with boursin cheese and wrapped in pancetta/parma ham with salad and new potatoes.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 10:45:40

Hmmm yum FiveGoMad that does definately sound nice. CAn you pay someone to stick the cheese up the chicken though?? Not my fave part grin

BertieBotts Wed 19-Aug-09 10:50:53

Jamie Oliver has some great recipes for feeding lots of people.

Chilli Con Carne - Love this, we replaced the balsamic vinegar with about a tbsp worth of 70% dark chocolate. His curry recipes are really nice as well (made with pastes, not jars) and for some reason even nicer when cooked, cooled, frozen and reheated (but I think possibly just the cooling time meant the flavours were more infused)

Do you have a slow cooker? They are perfect.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 10:55:42

No I don't sad I did but forgot it when I moved and ex chucked it out and I did love my slow cooker.
Curry might be a good idea actually, easy to make beforehand and can get lots of things to go with it.
Could do it like a proper Indian restaurant as well ...hmmm i'm liking this idea actually.

OhBling Wed 19-Aug-09 11:06:52

If it's a special occasion, I always think it's nice to have something you don't have that often - not because it's "fancy" necessarily but perhaps because it's expensive or a little more effort or whatever. So for example, if it's a family event, we'll often do a roast lamb of some sort because we all love it and it's not the kind of thing you normally whip up for just two people on a regular weeknight. And we jazz it up and make it more interesting depending on time, effort and who's coming over.

Pork belly is another one - anything that takes 3 hours to cook is not on my usual list of meals for me and DH so it's nice to do for friends/family when they come over.

having said that, a themed curry evening can be brilliant too. I love making rogan josh with lamb shoulder - it cooks beautifully, slowly and deliciously and with lots of sides can be amazing.

ComeOVeneer Wed 19-Aug-09 11:07:42

Rosemary chicken in a tomato sauce

1 tbsp olive oil
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 rosemary sprig, leaves finely chopped
1 red onion , finely sliced
3 garlic cloves , sliced
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp capers , drained
75ml red wine

Heat half the oil in a non-stick pan, then brown the chicken all over. Add half the chopped rosemary, stir to coat, then set aside on a plate.

In the same pan, heat the rest of the oil, then gently cook the onion for about 5 mins until soft. Add the garlic, anchovies and remaining rosemary, then fry for a few mins more until fragrant. Pour in the tomatoes and capers with the wine, bring to the boil, then return the chicken pieces to the pan.

Cover, then cook for 20 mins until the chicken is cooked through. Season and serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 19-Aug-09 15:12:53

Oh Comeoveneer, that chicken sounds lush. Will do that next time we have company.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 19-Aug-09 17:03:49

COV thank you, sounds delicious, will do that next week.

BadgersArse Wed 19-Aug-09 17:04:58

has anyone said antipasti yet?

BadgersArse Wed 19-Aug-09 17:05:49

i dont liek panna cotta - surely its just blancmange

TitsalinaBumsquash Wed 19-Aug-09 17:11:39

I love going to meals that are a help yourself kind of affair, i like mexican evenings with some suitable music on the back grond and nice dishes with fajitas, refried beans, salasa, guacamole, nachos and salads and of course cocktails! Its alwasy very relaxed and fun.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 18:57:00

CCOmpletely uncultured of me probably but what is antipasti????
Yeah I like things like that Titsalina. I would do that for a bigger group of people.

I'm going to do the chicken for us one weekend when we're doing something nice it sounds lovely.

Right off to google antipati now.

BadgersArse Wed 19-Aug-09 18:58:18

tacos are a bit processed crap arent they though although i do agree that relzxed hosts are ideal
always do a cold starter and a hot main and a cold pud
thereby is easy

i always do canapes instead of a starter to eat while wafting around kitchen chatting

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 19-Aug-09 18:58:37

Okay googled...this thread is now making me hungry I can see DH eating very well for weeks to come as I get more and more ideas.

bloss Wed 19-Aug-09 19:08:33

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Wed 19-Aug-09 19:13:51

This last weekend I have made, for friends:

* medeterrain veg lasagne
* baked salmon with cucumber and dill sauce, served with baby roast garlic potatoes
* honey and cumin chicken

All went down well.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 20-Aug-09 07:00:37

Bloss you may ahve just given me my next 'mojotio' inspired course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now