Talk

Advanced search

Is my tapas menu a bit safe and boring?

(11 Posts)
HarryB Wed 19-Aug-09 09:41:26

Have friends coming over next weekend and want to do some tapas. I plan the following, but am worried that it might not be very exciting. Your thoughts/other suggestions please:

Chicken thighs and wings slow roasted in garlic,lemon and parsley
Chorizo in red wine
Tortilla (spanish omelette)
Bocqouronies (sp?)
Grilled prawns
Potato bravas
Butterbeans and bacon
Lots of salad and crusty bread
Washed down with tons of Rioja

Followed - later - by banoffee pie ( not spanish I know but friend's DH loves it )

Thanks smile

Iklboo Wed 19-Aug-09 09:44:40

Albondigas (meatballs in spicy tomato sauce) are my favourite. Can I come to your party? I love tapas!

You could always have a sneaky peek at a La Tasca menu online and get some ideas?

mummytopebs Wed 19-Aug-09 09:45:38

I went to tapas on Friday night and had meat paella made with chicken and chorizo and peppers instead of seafood, spicy chilli and torillas and garlic mushrooms - a couple more ideas for you x By the way your sounds lovely, can i come?

HarryB Wed 19-Aug-09 09:51:54

Iklboo, I thought of meatballs when planning but thought that it might be a bit too much food. Mind you, I've just had a baby (err, 7 months ago, so need the energy yes, wink ). Great idea on La Tasca menu too.

Mummytopebs, I think I'd make a hash of paella, I am rubbish with anything rice based.

Thank you both!!

Come one and all.

CybilLiberty Wed 19-Aug-09 10:02:56

It sounds like a lot of food. If it was me I would do fewer dishes and more of them. The thing with tapas is, it's small portions isn't it? So if everyone wants the grilled prawns for example, there will be loads left over.

CybilLiberty Wed 19-Aug-09 10:04:31

My local tapas bar serves crusty bread with a litle dish of olive oil with a dash of balsamic vinegar in the middle for dipping. It's delish.

HarryB Wed 19-Aug-09 10:07:15

I know what you mean Cybil. I will rethink.

HarryB Wed 19-Aug-09 10:11:52

I meant to say in my OP that I am also doing some aioli. Perhaps I should scrap a dish and do another dip - Cybil's oil and balsamic sounds like a winner.

CybilLiberty Wed 19-Aug-09 10:14:33

Yes good thinking. MAsses of saled, lots of bread and maybe only 2 or 3 big plates of food. More impressive on the table too!

But just to make a point, your friends are not looking for fun exciting food, they are looking to spend time with you and your family.

OhBling Wed 19-Aug-09 10:16:30

Classics are always good. That's why they're classics. I think this sounds great. And a nice combination of meat, fish and veggies.

HarryB Wed 19-Aug-09 10:22:33

You are right Cybil. I blame my parents - they are Irish and in Ireland, if your guests don't leave your house full to bursting, you've not done your job as hosts Mrs Doyle stylee.

Go on you will you will [have another plate of tapas] grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now