Talk

Advanced search

blackberry jam

(13 Posts)
dylsmum1998 Tue 18-Aug-09 22:42:58

does anyone have a recipe for blackberry jam which does not need lemon/ any other citrus fruits. as my dd has a citrus allergy

thank you

perdu Tue 18-Aug-09 22:46:18

oh dear, sorry mine has a teaspoon of lemon in it.

could you make it without the lemon and just eat it quickly? I take it the lemon is really for a preservative?

On the other hand, I have made blackberry ice cream today and need to go and stir it again...however, seems really really nice so far and very easy! No lemon....

dylsmum1998 Wed 19-Aug-09 06:57:23

i can give that a go, wasn't sure what the lemon was in there for, if it had anything to do with setting etc grin

share the ice cream recipe please, sounds good smile

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Wed 19-Aug-09 08:26:18

If you make it with the sugar with pectin in it and make sure that not all of your blackberries are fully ripe then I've found it doesnt need lemon in it.
Tis lovely

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Wed 19-Aug-09 08:27:21

If the lemon is for a preservative (had always thought it was for setting) then a teaspoon of citric acid might do it (assuming its not the citric acid he is allergic to)

OhYouBadBadDailyMail Wed 19-Aug-09 08:30:50

reading a couple of sources it seems that lemon has lots of pectin and thats why its used. Can't find a reliable quote on that though.

senua Wed 19-Aug-09 08:44:37

Pectin makes the jam set, sugar acts as the preservative (which is why you keep those low-sugar jams in the fridge).
Apples are a natural source of pectin so you could do blackberry and apple jam.

1 lb blackberries
1 lb cooking apples (peeled and cored weight)
2 tbsp water
2 lb sugar

Wash berries and drain. Chop apples into small pieces, put in pan with water, simmer 10 min. Add berries, cook until smooth puree. Add sugar, stir over low heat until dissolved then boil until setting point is reached. Pot up. Makes 3lb jam.

pantshavenames Wed 19-Aug-09 13:18:35

Quick help here pleeease... my blackberry and apple jam has been at a steady boil for 35 min and seems to be showing no point of reaching setting point- do i give up and settle for... syrup?. or should I keep boiling and maybe boil harder?

ApplesinmyPocket Wed 19-Aug-09 13:31:21

I'd let it start to cool now (I never have much luck with the wrinkle-test myself and it may already be fine.) You will be able to tell as it cools if it is going thicker and is going to set properly.

If not there's no harm giving it a reboiling. I've had to do that myself with many a reluctant setter !

pantshavenames Wed 19-Aug-09 14:23:40

Thanks apples. I've bottled it now (and noone warned me that buying rinky-dink little le parfait jars was going to be such a faff for bottling!) and it looks like it's reasonably solid. I have distinct memories of a batch of blackberry jam my mum made that had to be leveraged out of the jar with a chisel and really wanted to avoid a repeat smile

dylsmum1998 Wed 19-Aug-09 17:41:31

thanks for the replies, have been out al day. citric acid is also out. am learning to make all sorts myself now grin

have made the apples and blackberry jam. it tastes yum

ProfYaffle Wed 19-Aug-09 17:46:14

I've never used lemon juice or added pectin in my bramble jelly, has always been fine. smile

ProfYaffle Wed 19-Aug-09 17:46:56

No apples either, just blackberries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now