Talk

Advanced search

Step away from the tinned tomatoes...

(17 Posts)
Gloria42 Tue 18-Aug-09 10:49:59

I hope you can help with my growing addiction to tomato-based foodshock!

Everything I make seems to begin with a tin of chopped tomatoes, please help me and suggest alternatives before I (and DP and DS) start to look like tomatoes smile!!

maize Tue 18-Aug-09 10:51:32

Risottos? - chicken, bacon, butternut squash, pea and mint etc
Roast dinners - its so easy to make a roast chicken
Omelettes
Sausages - with mash or in a casserole
Casseroles (better in winter I know)
Pasta with pesto

I am v.addicted to tinned toms though...

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 10:52:39

Fish pie, hoemmade burgers with potato wedges, chicken stew, BBQ chicken there are loads!

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 10:52:42

tinned tomatoes are good for you so eat away!
i love timmed tomatoes on toast!! yum

bethoo Tue 18-Aug-09 10:53:44

sorry not helpful!
salmon with asparagus and pak choi with hollandaise sauce, had it last night!

Gloria42 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:05:25

Glad I'm not the only addict!

I try to meal plan so ideally would like meals that can be frozen? Fish pie is a good 'un although I always struggle with the white sauce bit...

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 11:08:18

Just about every meal I make these days starts with sauteed onions, garlic, celery and a tin of tomatoes!

I'm just discovering the joy of pasta sauces made with creme fraiche as a base (can add salmon, broccoli, ham and peas etc etc)

It's worth getting to grips with a good white sauce though, it'll get you out of your tomato addiction. You can always <whisper it> buy some pretty good ready made versions, but once you've got how to do it, it's really easy - but you do have to be a bit dedicated for a while, stir stir and stir again until it's thickened!

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 11:10:21

I also do stir frys quite often. Can't be frozen but can be cooked pretty quickly if you're coming in from work/school run etc.

Also Thai chicken is a fave of mine, get a good quality green curry paste in a jar, then add coconut milk to chicken pieces, some mange tout, baby sweetcorn, Thai aubergine if you can find it, pak choi. Very tasty and not a tinned tomato in sight!

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 11:32:25

Another regular feature is honey mustard sausages with roasted veg couscous...

Roast some decent sausages in the oven with a mixture of honey, mustard, soy sauce and worcestershire sauce on a medium heat (dont' want to burn the honey). Roast some root veg in olive oil (anything lying around, onions, sweet potatoes, peppers, garlic cloves, carrots anything works) - if you chop it in to inch sized lumps it should only take about 20 mins to half an hour.

When its nearly ready, make up some couscouse according to the instructions (Waitrose do some really nice flavoured couscous with garlic and lemon) then add roasted veg to couscous, drizzle a bit of balsamic and some olive oil over it. Serve with the sausages and some green veg if you fancy it.

Gloria42 Tue 18-Aug-09 11:41:59

The sausages sound lovely, will definitely try them. DP is coeliac so he can't eat couscous, but I could try quinoa or rice :-)

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 11:53:10

Oh yeah quinoa would be lovely with the roasted veg, nice and nutty.

mothersmilk Tue 18-Aug-09 13:12:35

oh dear im no help here as even my cassaroles mince and gravy sausages and gravy all have a tin of chopped toms blush (i think i read somewhere it adds to your families 5 a day so thats when i stareted just bunging one in)

Iklboo Tue 18-Aug-09 13:15:20

I suppose salsa-topped haddock with creme fraiche crushed baby new potatoes & green beans is not what you were after smile

naomi83 Wed 19-Aug-09 19:47:17

chicken legs and sweet potato mash?

Zorayda Wed 19-Aug-09 20:58:18

Delia's all-in-one white sauce here. It's so simple even I get it right every time!

Gloria42 Sat 22-Aug-09 09:11:25

Thanks Zorayda, if the proportions work that should help solve my problem!!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sat 22-Aug-09 09:13:15

I too love tomatoes and do enjoy a sauce based meal started with tinned tomatoes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now