Talk

Advanced search

What can I eat that'll last me from breakfast to lunchtime?

(20 Posts)
HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 10:43:53

Had breakfast at 6.30 this morning, won't get my lunch break until about 1.30 but I'm hungry already blush

I had a tiny bowl of cornflakes this morning as there was only a splash of milk left, plus I had two slices of wholemeal toast with some half fat cheese (my mum reckons the cheese fills you up for longer) and I had an orange juice when I got to work. I am 21 weeks pg, not that that's an excuse, but I've really got to stop this mid morning snacking. There's really nothing healthy to snack on in our work canteen, and I'm already eyeing up my chicken salad sandwich I've brought in for lunch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a killer breakfast for a greedy person, that can fill me up for about 6 hours?

mankyscotslass Tue 18-Aug-09 10:46:01

Try porridge with fruit in it? It is my breakfast of choice when I am trying to be healthy.

Plus, take fruit or crackers and cheese with you to snack on in the day? You probably will need a mid morning snack!

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 18-Aug-09 10:46:07

egg on toast.The protein for me seems to stave off hunger.
Why don't you take fruit or rice cakes or a healthy snack into work?

ConnorTraceptive Tue 18-Aug-09 10:46:45

Definately try eggs for breakfast they really do keep you full for longer I find. can you not take some fruit for a snack?

squeaver Tue 18-Aug-09 10:47:25

Porridge then a banana

cocolepew Tue 18-Aug-09 10:47:28

Bacon and eggs; porridge (yuk); wholemeal toast with peanut butter: extra fruit or yoghurts. Could you not eat mid-morning? It would stabilise your blood sugar better, that's a longtime to go without eating <<greedy emoticon>

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 10:47:43

scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast with orange juice. Keeps me going for ages.

cocolepew Tue 18-Aug-09 10:48:04

x-posts <<slow typing emoticon hmm>>

gizmo Tue 18-Aug-09 10:50:16

Big bowl of muesli (seems to be an oat theme developing here) with dried fruit, banana and greek yoghurt. Oh and you'll need some milk.

Are you at a desk job? Can you put a fruit bowl on the desk?

branhasnocommentfortheDM Tue 18-Aug-09 10:50:59

Rolled oats mixed with yoghurt and grated apple. If you allow it to sit for a few minutes it goes nice and soft. As others have said eggs are filling (scrambled on toast is my favourite), but if you have to work close to other people and have any sort of wind problem (at either end) you will be quite unpopular.

Oatcakes are great for a filling snack, as are raw nuts.

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 10:52:18

Is it really a long time to go without food? I've always really struggled with weight, I usually hover around a size 16 but it's a struggle to stay there. I ballooned when I was pg with ds, so I'm very concious that I mustn't put too much weight on this time. My mum thinks snacking between meals is the devil's work

I quite like porridge, but I never think of it in summer.. also I'm such a sweet tooth it's really hard not to add a load of honey to it. I do like the idea of scrambled eggs, but aren't too many eggs a bad idea? two eggs every morning adds up pretty quickly.

Sheeta Tue 18-Aug-09 10:52:56

lol @ wind problems grin
good point, well made!

OrmIrian Tue 18-Aug-09 10:54:42

I have wm toast with peanut butter. Or toast and 2 boiled eggs. Or fruit, oats and Greek yoghurt. I don't do low-fat.

If you are pregnant you will be hungrier. Take some cheese and fruit.

cocolepew Tue 18-Aug-09 10:55:09

A pice of fruit mid morning would help, I have my breakfast at 8ish and need to eat again at 10.30 blushSnacking between meals is fine as long as it's not Mars Bars grin

BornToFolk Tue 18-Aug-09 10:55:52

A combination of protein and fibre will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Make sure you are drinking lots of water as sometimes you can confuse hunger and thirst.
6 hours is a long time to go without food though. Have you got access to a fridge at work? You could have a bowl of cereal mid-morning, nice and filling and healthy.

Lulubee Tue 18-Aug-09 10:56:19

I think that at 21 weeks pregnant you SHOULD be eating at least every 3 hours - quit with the guilt, eat healthily, and don't starve yourself! What's wrong witheatng mid-morning? It doesn't have to be crisps and chocolate.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 18-Aug-09 10:57:37

you're pregnant, your baby is using your blood sugar so you will feel hungry and 6 hours is a long time without food.
Have a decently large breakfast, then a healthy snack at snacktime, then lunch, then nother snack at 4 then tea.
If its not buscuits and cakes you shouldn't pile on weight <puts down own doughnut blush)

Louby3000 Tue 18-Aug-09 10:59:02

Big bowl of Special K sustain, a banana, some greek yogurt, 2 rice cakes with cheese and big glass of OJ. Have some crudites with homemade hoummas mid morning and some more rice cakes. It is a LOOONG time not to have a mid morning snack when preggers. Just make sure its heathly, and chew some gum after the hoummas!

HeadFairy Tue 18-Aug-09 11:02:59

Hmmm maybe I'm listening to my mum too much. She is a bit diet obssessed to be honest. She lived in France when she was pg with me and was weighed throughout her pregnancy and is shocked I'm not.

I've just been up to the canteen and the only bananas they have there are horrible green hard things. So I've got a yoghurt.

I know I should carry something like a banana or some fruit around with me, it's hard to be organised when I'm working such long hours (12 hour shifts) as I leave the house at 7.15 and I won't get home until about 8pm tonight.

I'm trying to avoid peanut butter as there are a lot of allergies in my family which is a shame because I could literally tear down a brick wall with my bare hands to get to some toast with a thick layer of peanut butter on right now

OrmIrian Tue 18-Aug-09 11:04:04

Ah yes.... I didn't think about peanuts. Sorry no good then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now