Talk

Advanced search

Is there such thing as too much dairy for a 20 mnth old?

(5 Posts)
wherenow Tue 18-Aug-09 08:58:27

Hi,

My Ds has a 9oz bottle of cows milk first thing in the morning and before bed. He also has other dairy products throughout the day such as yoghurt, cheese etc.

Do I need to reduce the amount of milk he is drinking (ie- cut out the morning bottle?)
He doesnt eat much for breakfast but has a snack mid morning and eats well throughout the rest of the day.

He is healthy and happy and pretty average size-wise.

What do you think?

TIA

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 18-Aug-09 09:00:28

is it crowding out other nutrients? B vitamins? Iron? is he eating plenty of grains and green leaft veg?
dd is on a high dairy diet (cream and butter) and we have to have her cholesterol checked and give her vitamins because it crowds them out.

wherenow Tue 18-Aug-09 09:07:56

I'm not really sure if its crowding out the other nutrients. Didn't know thats what alot of milk did blush
He eats a balanced and varied diet but should I also be giving him a multi-vit?
Glad I asked. Oooops

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 18-Aug-09 09:11:49

I expect he's fine. Maybe reduce the milk a bit or use it on cereal.
Mine didn't have bottled milk after about 18 months so had milk on cereal. They wouldn't eat cheese or yogurts either.
But they are now healthy slim teenagers so it must have been ok grin

Seona1973 Tue 18-Aug-09 12:24:56

maybe you could offer the morning milk in a cup along with breakfast and kill two birds with one stone i.e. cut down the milk and get your lo used to drinking milk from a cup instead of a bottle. From 1 year they need the equivalent of 350mls (approx 12oz) of milk which includes milk with cereal, other dairy, etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now