Talk

Advanced search

Any lunch bow ideas please?

(7 Posts)
orangehead Mon 17-Aug-09 21:23:33

The dc are really bored of sandwiches so I need some ideas please. Made them a rice salad which they both liked so thats one day sorted. Any other ideas please?

orangehead Mon 17-Aug-09 21:24:58

I cant believe I typed 'lunch bow', obviously meant 'lunch box' blush

StirlingTheTired Mon 17-Aug-09 22:24:05

The Food Standards Agency website is great with a month's worth of lunch box ideas.

And the BBC Website has some great ideas too.

slng Wed 19-Aug-09 19:52:13

Has anyone actually tried packing a smoothie for lunchboxes that involves blending bananas (as suggested by the BBC site)? What does it look like by lunch time? Does it go grey!?

Overmydeadbody Wed 19-Aug-09 19:57:17

banana smoothie won't go grey if you add a few drops of lemon juice or add a bit of apple juice.

Wraps are always good sandwich alternatives.

I wouldn't do rice salad personally, but hoe about pasta salad, couscous salad, potato salad, cooked cold chicken drumsticks, a tuna, olive and cherry tomato salad with pasta

filled pita breads

falafel

mini quiches and tarts, mini cornish pasties (home-made)

Toasted cheese sandwiches (they are quite nice cold)

cold slices of pizza

bean salads

hot stuff in thermos food flasks.

Spanish omelette (tortilla)

then add things like fruit, yoghurts, cheese cubes, little containers of dried fruit, crackers, bread sticks, crisps (sometimes), smoothies, grapes, and any other snacks your DC like.

slng Wed 19-Aug-09 20:02:56

Thanks OMDB. Not sure I'd pack smoothies though. I won't do rice salad either, though I have been known to do sushi blush - the vinegar in the rice makes me feel safer ...

KellyDD Thu 27-Aug-09 10:49:52

Ah LO's top lunchboxes include as many different shaped things as possible!!!

- Potato or Bean Salad
- 1/2 mini bagel with peanut butter
- Raisens/few nuts
- mini cupcake sometimes
- Banana

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now