recipes for mince?

(14 Posts)
mothersmilk Mon 17-Aug-09 14:16:59

iv got loads in the freezer how can i use it other than the obvious
lasagne
sag bol
pie's
shepards pie
burgers.. ect may be asking a bit much but anyone?
iv got beef and lamb
tia

cordonbleugh Mon 17-Aug-09 14:22:43

my all time fave: break up 500g of minced beef into a large round ovenproof dish, chop up a medium sized onion and mix in with the mince.

Then fill dish with water until it's slightly over the mince.

Add gravy granules unitl the mixure turns brown.

Pop in the (preheated - 180C) oven for an hour. Check after half an hour stir, and add more gravy granules to darken it up a bit.

after an hour, serve with mash potato and peas.

Iklboo Mon 17-Aug-09 14:26:31

Tacos
Meatballs

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Aug-09 14:28:32

chilli con carne.

moussaka with the lamb mince.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 17-Aug-09 14:28:56

Mince and onions with mash - my god that's made me hungry! Haven't had that for years

OP - chilli con carne? Very yummy, and very versatile. I make it up a batch at a time and freeze enough to feed the three of us another 2 or 3 times. You can serve with either rice or a jacket potato. DS is 12 months and loves it.

Make some lamb koftas to bbq - mix up the lamb mince as you would for a burger but add a little chilli and pack the meat around skewers, then serve with salad and tsatziki, yum.

lottiejenkins Mon 17-Aug-09 14:44:22

I do a dish where i cook the mince and parboil and slice some potatoes, i then layer the mince and potatoes till potatoes are on the top, then i pour cheese sauce over the top and grated cheese over that! Yum!

missmelly Tue 18-Aug-09 18:58:35

these are yummy lamb burgers

missmelly Tue 18-Aug-09 19:01:12

meatloaf
beef stroganoff

TaxiLady Tue 18-Aug-09 19:08:16

little mini kofta style meatballs are fab....and a good way of killing an afternoon if you have a small child to help

mince, really finely chopped onions, a few apricots also very finely chopped, plenty of S&P, and any herbs and spices you like.

squidge the whole lot together, the more you work it, the better it will hold together in the end.

then roll it into teeny balls, about a teaspoon at a time...this is where small children with clean hands come in handy

i have put all sorts in as seasoning, a spoon of mango chutney, a pickled lemon, a dod of harrisa, raisins instead of apricots, chillies if you are feeling brave

use pork mince and grated apple

lamb with mint

fry them in a pan in batches and we have ours with warm pittas and couscous

CybilLiberty Tue 18-Aug-09 19:15:16

Chilli fajita's with sour cream and salsa.

Montifer Tue 18-Aug-09 19:22:34

Beef - Meatballs made with finely chopped onion and breadcrumbs (no egg, it makes them heavy) in a tomato sauce with a splash of vinegar (red wine or balsamic) and some chopped gherkins to make it a bit sweet and sour. Serve with rice.

Lamb - shish kebabs made with onion, chopped parsley and coriander, ground cumin and coriander seeds, garlic and pine nuts. Grill and serve with houmous, cous cous, salad and pitta bread.

Like shepherds pie but mince with smoked bacon, lots of red wine, cannellini beans, veg stock. And diced potatoes sprinkled with parmesan on top. Yum

KellyDD Thu 27-Aug-09 10:39:39

lottie - was about to suggest a potato layer like yours!

I try and make it different with a layer of thinly sliced courgettes/roasted peppers from a jar with blue cheese or add bacon and brie...

the potatoes are delicious so go all soft and floury so make sure you use a variety that will hold their shape though like Estima/Nadine

This recipe won the Best Potato Recipe in the World!! I've made it in a dish without the pastry and it's DELICIOUS!

sayanything Thu 27-Aug-09 10:51:38

Stuffed courgettes/peppers/onions/beef tomatoes - shallow fry the mince with some onion and herbs (and the scooped out courgette/tomato flesh if that's what you're using), boil some rice, mix it all together and stuff your veggies. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in oven until the veggies are soft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now