Talk

Advanced search

DS ate 7 carrot sticks today - but WHY?

(11 Posts)
kathyis6incheshigh Sun 16-Aug-09 19:32:42

grin
It was like a miracle.
He's 2.8 and for the last year or so the only fruit or vegetables he ate were bananas, cucumber and pizza with tomato sauce on it (but not pasta with the same sauce on hmm).

This morning he asked for a snack. I offered him carrot sticks on principle even though he had never been known to eat them.

DS: I don't like carrot sticks. I want celery.

me: ??!!! We haven't got any celery. Shall I get you a carrot stick?

DS: Carrot sticks, mmm delicious, my favourite! (rubs tummy)

me (pushing my luck): Do you want one or two?

DS: Three. No, four.

He scoffed the four, repeating 'mmm delicious, my favourite' and asked for 3 more, which he ate grin grin grin

What has happened? shock shock shock Has the real ds been abducted by aliens and replaced with a Stepford style robot? Or did we bring the wrong child home from the soft play area yesterday? shock He definitely has the same colour hair as my ds.

Surely this is not normal toddler behaviour? shock

sporadicname Sun 16-Aug-09 19:39:58

Have you recently become more relaxed about what he is/in't eating. I find, with my toddler, he does things when I stop caring grin

sporadicname Sun 16-Aug-09 19:41:06

'Have you recently become more relaxed about what he is/in't eating'

That was meant to say 'isn't' was not meant to be some sort of strange spelling!

alittlebitshy Sun 16-Aug-09 19:45:19

No answers but what a lovely story. Made me smile

kathyis6incheshigh Sun 16-Aug-09 19:54:57

Sporadic - no, less relaxed grin It was winding me up more and more.

Mind you I should have realised there was something in the air as he tried a blackberry the other week (though he did spit it out immediately).

FaintlyMacabre Sun 16-Aug-09 19:59:11

Is he a fan of Peppa Pig? Rebecca and Richard Rabbit love carrots and declare them to be 'delicious'. My DS says 'dishus' and 'squeak squeak' when presented with a carrot but alas does not eat them. Your story gives me hope!

kathyis6incheshigh Sun 16-Aug-09 20:01:53

FaintlyMacabre - yes he IS a Peppa Pig fan and we have been watching a lot lately owing to a general switch to Milkshake to avoid Big Cook Little Cook grin
I honestly think you might be onto something there.
I have caught him pretending to be a bunny lately as well.

FaintlyMacabre Sun 16-Aug-09 20:26:36

Aha! Now why hasn't my DS picked up on that aspect of Peppa Pig instead of the jumping in muddy puddles obsession?

StillNorks Sun 16-Aug-09 20:38:11

My 2 detest celery but still request it regularly, due to the wonderpets grin

I think they just surprise us sometimes in the last week DD has developed a liking for red and orange pepper and DS has requested and eaten jam sandwiches( has refused bread full stop for 3.5 years)

kathyis6incheshigh Sun 16-Aug-09 21:30:39

Stillnorks do you mean they eat it even though they don't like it, or they demand it and then don't eat it?
DS always demands a boiled egg when DD has one and never so much as tastes it!

StillNorks Sun 16-Aug-09 21:53:55

No they take at least one bite, normally 2-3 then tell me its yukky and they never want it again, 2 days later repeat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now