Talk

Advanced search

I am cooking my first joint of beef today.

(22 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 09:34:49

I have bought a fatted top rump roast for the first time and would welcome any tips for cooking and serving it. The label specifies it will take just over 1 hour for a medium roast but that seems really quick to me.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 09:37:19

How heavy is it, what temp does it suggest? presumably it has no bone.

Gosh, I envy you - DH goes off roasts in summer and I'm drooling at the very thought of the smell of roast beef

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 09:39:37

It weighs 1.108kg, says to cook at 190 for medium for 20 minutes per 500g plus 20 minutes. No bone.

I have to confess I was influenced into buying it by the lack of decent chickens and the thought of cold roast beef and horse radish sandwiches later.

macdog Sun 16-Aug-09 09:41:48

I'd recommend buying roasting bags fron the supermarket and cooking it in that.

You coat the bag with a bit of flour and pop the joint in. (I chop an onion and put it in the bag too)

the bag seals all the juices in adn when the meat has cooked/rested you pour the juices out and there's your gravy!!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 09:46:00

Oh, I have a roasting whats it but it is designed for chicken. Will see if it will do for beef.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 09:46:44

Yes, will do for poultry. milk and fish so will give that a go. Thanks.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 09:47:26

Meat and fish, not milk! Blinking 4 year old is hassling me.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 09:54:37

Hum, that doesn't seem quite enough to me. My trusty old Good Housekeeping book specifies 33 mins/lb +33mins for a boneless joint at 190C. But you don't want to overcook it so its probably best to do it for an hour, give it a prod and then decide if it looks like it needs more.

I usually start mine at 220C for the first 15 mins and then reduce the temp. Oh, and put an onion in the tin with it. Allow time for 'resting' - it wants to be out 20mins before serving, wrapped in foil. This gives time to up the oven back to 220 for the Yorkshire puds and do the green veg and gravy.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 09:58:33

I use a tin with a lid.

OnlyWantsOneWantsAnother Sun 16-Aug-09 10:00:13

Yummmyyyy good luck let us know how it turns out x

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 10:27:04

Oh so many ideas. Don't know what to do now!

Have put the oven on grin.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 10:59:08

Right, the beef has some flour on it and is wrapped with some onion and has just gone in the oven.

Prepared the honey carrots already so need to do the rest now. So far planning on yorkshires, roasties and home made stuffing. Master 4 year old doesn't think it is a roast dinner without stuffing! I have chocolate chip and banana pudding in the slow cooker too.

GrimmaTheNome Sun 16-Aug-09 11:02:00

Fab, when you get lots of different advice on cooking something, what it means is that its probably not that critical either way.

Your DS is quite right, if you're going to have the oven on you should do puds, stuffing, roasties... its just a waste of energy not to, right?grin

Choc chip and banana pudding? Mmmm that sounds good...

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 11:07:06

I am doing a mix of everyones advice, starting it off at 220.

Montifer Sun 16-Aug-09 11:09:03

Mmmm indeed.

Hope the beef is delicious, I agree cold beef and horseradish sarnies sound good.

When you've enjoyed your sunday lunch any chance of the slow cooked choc banana pud recipe?smile

StrangeTown Sun 16-Aug-09 11:09:37

I reckon an hour will be fine for quite well done outside (good for DS) an pink bits in middle for you!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 11:27:50

Chocolate chip and banana pudding.

Serves 4

200g self-raising flour.
75g unsalted (sweet) butter.
2 rips bananas.
75g caster sugar.
50ml milk.
1 egg, lightly beaten.
75g chocolate chips or chopped unsweetened chocolate.

For the chocolate sauce.

90g caster sugar.
50ml water.
175g plain chocolate chips or chopped unsweetened chocolate.
25g unsalted butter.
30ml brandy or orange juice.

Grease and line the base of a 1 litre pudding basin with baking parchment. Put an inverted saucer into the bottom of the ceramic cooking pot and pour in about 2.5cm of hot water.

Turn the slow cooker to high.

Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas then stir into the flour and butter mixture. Add the sugar and mix well.

In a clean bowl whisk the egg and milk, then beat into the banana mixture. Stir in the choc chips and spoon into the prepared pudding basin. Cover with a double layer of buttered foil and place in the slow cooker. Pour enough boiling water to come just over half way up the sides.

Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the pudding is well risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Turn off the slow cooker and leave the pudding in the slow cooker while you make the sauce.

Put the sugar and water in a heavy based saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stir until melted. Then add the butter in the same way. Stir in the brandy or orange juice.

Remove the pudding from the slow cooker and run a knife around the inside of the basin to loosen it. Turn it out onto a warmed plate and serve hot with the sauce poured over it.

Enjoy.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 12:55:01

Thanks to macdog's idea I had the juices to make home made gravy - yum yum, so thank you for that and to everyone else who helped. It was delicious and I will be cooking beef again.

Curiousmama Sun 16-Aug-09 12:59:09

smile Sounds delicious glad you enjoyed it.

macdog Sun 16-Aug-09 17:07:26

yay! I helped smile

Glad it worked out for you

Montifer Sun 16-Aug-09 22:12:42

Glad you enjoyed your lunch, thanks for the recipe.
It sounds delicious and I haven't done slow cooker puds yet so will give it a whirl.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 17-Aug-09 09:05:30

It is the first time I did it and it was so yummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now