Talk

Advanced search

Help from gravy makers.

(8 Posts)
differentID Sat 15-Aug-09 11:00:04

Hi, have decided to do sausage and mash tonight for friends coming over and I want to do a proper onion gravy i.e not out of a packet/ bisto jar.
Does anyone have a foolproof method for a gravy-making virgin to try?
Please?

missingtheaction Sat 15-Aug-09 11:05:41

nigel slater real food: is YUMMY. does demand patience.

a very thick slice of butter, about 75g
2 large onions peeled and thinly sliced
level tbsp flour
75ml madeira, marsala or Red wine
250ml stock
worcestershire sauce

melt butter, add onions and cook as slowly as you can get them to until they are golden and soft; then put on the lid and cook them some more until they are soft enough to crush between your fingers. (about long enough to drink the rest of the wine)

stir in the flour and cook for a min or two, then the stock and wine and salt and pepper and a dash of wor. sauce. turn down the heat and bubble gently for 15 mins or as long as you like

MMMMM we are having this with toad in the hole for supper

Or just go to Marks and get theirs.

differentID Sat 15-Aug-09 11:11:28

If I were to miss out the alcohol, should I increase the stock/ worcestershire sauce?

REally hate alcohol in food. Alcohol is to be drunk, plus when cooked it has an unfortunate effect on my dh's tummy.

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 11:20:01

I fry onions (& a bit of sliced pepper) in olive oil (or you can use the sausage fat) - you can add mushrooms if you want

Then stir in flour to make a sort of roux & let that down with stock (either beg stock or hot water with a veg stock cube in)

I brown it a little with gravy browning (which is just burnt sugar/caramel - you can make your own; I used to know how to do this but it is so far back in my memory I can't remember - sugar/water & lots of heat is as much as I remember)

differentID Sat 15-Aug-09 11:24:48

will let you know what happens. not sure which to try.

differentID Sat 15-Aug-09 19:12:06

MTA- thank you, I gave yours a shot but added more stock instead of booze. Was delicious- even my very picky foodie friend liked it. smile
Even though friends 9yr old ds waited till it was on his plate to say "I don't like onions".
Katymac, I will try yours in the week I think.

Thanks to both of you.

Katymac Sat 15-Aug-09 19:49:43

I liquidise for picky children

differentDM Mon 17-Aug-09 08:22:08

I'm afraid I take a hard line with friends ds.
If you don't like it, don't eat it but there is no alternative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now