Talk

Advanced search

I want a nice spiced rice recipe - like a pilaf or byriani(sp?) thing but I can't find a recipe I like.

(6 Posts)
TheArmadillo Fri 14-Aug-09 13:35:48

I want a nice rice recipe to go with the lamb korma I am making - but I can't find one that I like the look of (took me ages to find a nice korma recipe I liked).

Basically I am not well and feeling fussy.

What I want is a rice like I get from the really good takeaway we had before we moved.

I'm guessing tumeric to colour the rice, and I know it had cardamon in it plus the usual onions/garlic/chillis. I also want to put peas in it. But I'm thinking it needs something more - something more unusual - poss cloves or cinnamon? The korma is going to be (fingers crossed) quite mild so spicy rice is fine - but I want more flavour than heat iyswim.

And if anyone has a good dahl recipe at the same time I would be over the moon (again can't find one that's quite what I want).

I have been through cookbooks, my usual recipe websites and googled but nothing is quite what I'm looking for.

MrsBadger Fri 14-Aug-09 13:41:26

do you want pilau, not pilaf?

I can't remember mine exactly
but as far as I can recall I toast squashed caradmom pods, coriander seeds, a cinnamon stick and somethign else I can't remember - little long thin seeds - in a dry pan, then add the oil and cook the onions and garlic, then rice and go ahead as normal

never bother with turmeric

my daal is crap so I won't give you my recipe

CUMIN it is CUMIN seeds

TheArmadillo Fri 14-Aug-09 13:44:15

could be pilau (wasn't entirely sure)

That recipe sounds good. Much more along the lines of what I was thinking. Plus have all that in cupboards Thanks very much grin

Poss Fri 14-Aug-09 13:45:53

This rice is v good www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/mejadarah.

I made veg biryani the other week and it took hours but was amazing. Don't have access to the recipe at the moment I'm afraid.

TheArmadillo Fri 14-Aug-09 13:48:12

that also looks tasty - will be making another curry in the week and will give that one a go.
That website looks good - haven't come across that one before. Am off for a browse.

Thanks.

penona Thu 20-Aug-09 22:49:47

I have a fab dahl recipe that I made at least every week when I was TTC and feeling grumpy!

200ml packet of coconut cream
200ml red lentils
400ml water

(or halve/double the quantities depending on the size of the coconut cream packet!)

tspn each ground cumin, ground coriander,
1/2 tspn ground turmeric
roughly chopped onion and ripe tomato
finely chopped green chili (optional)

Stick it all in a pan, bring to boil, simmer for 20-30 mins, add more water if gets dry.

Gently fry some finely chopped onion until brown, add tbspn black mustard seeds, tspn cumin seeds, fry until they pop, add a few curry leaves (these freeze really well and can use straight from the freezer).

Pour the dressing on the dahl, pop lid on and leave to marinate for 5 mins or so while you do the naan/get plates out etc.

It is v v yummy, tasty, slightly creamy, mmmmm, I really want some now....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now