Talk

Advanced search

Anniversary meal ideas?

(9 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Fri 14-Aug-09 13:03:36

its our wedding anniversary next week and DH and I will be cooking a nice (hopefully!) meal together.

He is desperate to do mini cheese souffles for starter, so I will be doing the main course.

I'm looking for ideas for the main course that will be special but not too filling that we will be too full for, er, dessert...

For our last special meal I did seabass with salsa verde and roasted baby potatoes which was perfect as really tasty but not overly filling.

We like all meats/fish so all ideas welcome?Have always been tempted to cook duck but am a bit scared it would be difficult to get right?

Thanks in advance!

bubblagirl Fri 14-Aug-09 13:07:41

what about hunters chicken with some mash and green beans

its nice to hear romance is still alive dp lost his along time ago lol

notamumyetbutoneday Fri 14-Aug-09 13:20:36

Thanks bubbleagirl will look for recipes for that. We've only been married 2 years so no excuse for the romance to slip just yet!

BlueChampagne Fri 14-Aug-09 13:24:47

Good steak with lots of veg and spuds. If you're having 3 courses, you don't have to get huge steaks, and can always hold back on spuds.

bubblagirl Fri 14-Aug-09 13:26:05

lol lets hope it continues dp lost his from about 6 mths together i think once he got me where he wanted me lol

hunters chicken is great you can buy colemans mix for the bbq sauce, you need chicken breast and wrap in bacon pour over sauce grate some cheese on top put in oven really is yummy

bubblagirl Fri 14-Aug-09 13:28:06

steak with blue cheese sauce or pepper corn sauce with chunky fluffy chips and peas

salmon with new potatoes and dill sauce and veg

fishermans pie

tuna steaks with new potatoes veg and balsamic tomatoes over the tuna

BlehdyDM Fri 14-Aug-09 13:35:58

Duck can be quite easy to cook actually. I would recommend getting duck breast, rather than the whole bird, as you get much more meat thean otherwise.
What you do is you make deep cuts into the skin side (until you just reach the flesh) , in a diamond pattern. Then, rub in lemon juice, salt and pepper (the lemon juice helps in making it crispy). Cook it (skin side down) on a moderate griddle/frying pan, until you see that the flesh is just starting to cook (about five minutes), and then turn it over and cook for about a minute on the other side. Then, depending on how rare you like it, you can either leave it to rest and serve it immediately, or bake in the oven for up to ten minutes.
www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/cookalong-live/cookalong-live-the-series/week-3/render-and-cook-duck-bre ast_p_1.html Gordon Ramsay's video is very helpful.
You can then make sauces using some of the rendered fat (to add flavour). Things like orange and berries are very good flavours for duck. You can also use the fat cooked off to make roast potatoes.

BlehdyDM Fri 14-Aug-09 13:37:09

If you do get a whole duck and want to roast it, roast it on a rack in a roasting pan, and have the pan filled with water. This helps to keep the meat moist and any fat that cooks off doesn't end up sticking to the pan, but can be washed away easily.

notamumyetbutoneday Mon 17-Aug-09 09:26:36

Thanks everyone- if i can find duck breasts or legs I think I will do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now