Talk

Advanced search

Heinz Cook at Home Sauces

(7 Posts)
HarryB Fri 14-Aug-09 10:37:17

^Posted in weaning - seems to be slow over there and I'm going shopping later^.

Hi. I'm planning to make cottage pie/ragu type sauce for DS as a way of introducing beef. To get around the salty stock cube issue for the gravy and the fact that DS will not eat my fresh cooked tomato, I thought I might try these sauces (beef gravy/tomato & basil). Anyone else use them? Any good?

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 14-Aug-09 13:04:39

They are fine however you can get baby stock cubes from boots, just add a little flour and you have gravy. My Dd has really enjoyed them.

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 14-Aug-09 20:00:33

I have used Kallo very low salt stock cubes for casserole that we all had - no where near as nice as oxo cube plus a bit of bistoblush but perfectly edible. Rather watery but I couldn't be arsed to thicken it with anything, they do chicken and beef ones.

HarryB Sat 15-Aug-09 16:35:53

Many thanks. No boots round here but DH has been tasked to buy some on Monday. smile

steffibabes Sat 15-Aug-09 21:06:08

If you have a Home Bargains they have had the sachets of Heinz Cook at Home for 10p!

Still haven't used mine yet though! blush

fishflange Sat 15-Aug-09 21:12:46

they do taste rather pap but are good to 'water' down family food and mashed veg
As well as boots' excellent stock cubes. You can get round the gray issue by using tinned toms and puree like you would a bolognaise - beefy sauce but no gravy.

nannyL Sun 16-Aug-09 09:23:26

I agree with just buy the no salt stock cubes (or butter) and make sauces as normal.

you probably only need to make 1 or 2 batches ever to make enough baby size portions for the whole time they are being weaned, if you freeze in baby size portions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now