Talk

Advanced search

Should we be making Christmas puddings now?

(30 Posts)
PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 09:43:04

Don't shoot me for mentioning the 'C' word.

I want to make a pud this year, should I be doing it now?

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 10:09:40

anyone?

ILYM Fri 14-Aug-09 10:15:54

Yes,
Always make my puds in school summer hols - have done for years,has been a tradition in my family for generations,that way the little ones get to help and have their final stir while making a wish
Then in Oct half term make my cake - keep wrapped in greaseproof & has lots of time to be fed brandy! Mmmmmmmmm
LOVE CHRISTMAS x x x

Saxonne Fri 14-Aug-09 10:43:01

You can make it now, they keep for ages. However I always make mine the last weekend in November when I am feeling a bit more Christmassy. Me and the DD's do it with my mum at her house as she has the big mixing bowls and saucepans required for steaming. We make several and distribute round the extended family. We all have a taste of the mixture to see if it has enough brandy, but always add another splash for luck. We all stir the mixture and make a wish.

Getting excited now just thinking about it, I love Christmas too!

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 10:57:51

What equipment do I need? I have an electric three tiered steamer but thats not going to be any good is it?

Where do you buy the plastic bowls that you put the pudding in?

Saxonne Fri 14-Aug-09 11:09:26

Not sure if an electric steamer would work, puddings need to steam for a few hours and I don't know if an electric steamer can do this. Hopefully another poster will come on who can help. Or, do you have any really large saucepans?

Plastic bowls you can probably get from Lakeland or similar shop or do you have a market with a good cook ware stall? I personally use old fashioned ceramic white pudding basins whaich my mum has had for years. The don't have lids so we tie greaseproof paper over the top with string, and when steaming keep the level of the water in the pan below the level of the top of the basin so it doesn't seep into the pudding.

Anyone else know if the electric steamer can be used?

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 11:11:54

So do you sit your pudding in a bowl of boiling water to steam it saxonne?

I have a large saucepan so I could do this

JodieO Fri 14-Aug-09 11:13:34

I've used my electric steamer to make mine and they were the same as when using a pot steamer. Just remember to keep resetting the timer and filling it up with water.

ComeOVeneer Fri 14-Aug-09 11:16:16

Don't use plastic bowls! Get proper pudding bowls. Also nother good tip for christmas day, steam them in a slow cooker, to free up a ring on your hob for veg, gravy etc.

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 11:17:05

Where can I get proper pudding bowls?

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 11:19:18

Fantastic JodieO, thats really good to know

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 11:21:33

I've had a look at Delias but I cant work out how long I should resteam it for on christmas day if I make a large one

ComeOVeneer Fri 14-Aug-09 11:33:27

Lakeland for bowls and muslins.

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 11:34:51

Thanks COV

Saxonne Fri 14-Aug-09 11:44:01

On Christmas day I usually resteam for about an hour. The slow cooker sounds a good tip aswell but you can also just microwave if pushed for time, or just tipsy and disorganised like I usually am by pudding time on Christmas Day!

Getting ridiculously excited now about it all!

JodieO Fri 14-Aug-09 12:15:50

I made 2 of the delia large ones and did them for the time she said on the day, can't quite remember how long that was! I used plastic ones with lids as I couldn't find any "proper" ones anywhere. I'd completely forgotten about lakeland though, I bet they have them, be careful though; it's full of amazing things that you'll want! wink

battlehips Fri 14-Aug-09 12:26:37

I must be an idiot because I cannot see them on Lakeland.

Microwave is a good tip when if I'm slighlty tispy grin

ILYM Fri 14-Aug-09 12:30:11

I use white ceramic pudding bowls which you can usually get from any good cookware shop.
Cover the mix with greaseproof and then foil over baisin - which you wrap around rim & put a small fold in middle just in case mix rises a little.
I steam mine for about four hours in saucepans half full boiling water on a very low heat - keep an eye and top up with hot water from kettle every now & then.
Cool then recover & keep cool & dry - will last ages.
On Christmas day - yes as others said steam for about an hour -
Last yr perish the thought!! I even microwaved it on Christmas day as not enough rings on my hob (tasted just as good)
Another weird family tradition if any puds leftover we have one after Easter Sunday lunch.
x

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 12:30:15

We both must be idiots grin as I cannot find them on Lakeland or even Ebay.

I think I'll just use my three tiered steamer again on christmas day, that'll be ok won't it?

senua Fri 14-Aug-09 12:45:22

They are traditionally made on Stir-up Sunday when the vicar says
"Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord,
the wills of thy faithful people,
that they plenteously bringing forth
the fruit of good works, may
be of thhe plenteously rewarded."

and you think "eek! must stir-up the pudding."

Stir-up Sunday is the 25th after Trinity, or the Sunday before Advent.
However, I usually do mine in half-term.

PuppyLoves Fri 14-Aug-09 12:52:36

So about a month before christmas?

paranoidmother Fri 14-Aug-09 12:59:33

Lakeland doesn't have the China ones in for a few more weeks. We're waiting to have them delivered at present (I work for them), there are plastic ones you can put them in for now and transfer them to china/pretty ones before christmas.

I would suggest making enough for this year and next year as the pudding will keep really well and tastes even better after a year. Just make sure they are covered over well.

senua Fri 14-Aug-09 12:59:50

I do Delia's receipe which is seriously gorgeous. The important thing is to make the pudding but then let it stand, to soak up all the juices, for 24 hours before you steam it. It is wonderfully moist.

FritesMenthe Fri 14-Aug-09 13:04:18

Mine is done [smug]

Actually I just made two last year, so one is maturing nicely.

Good Housekeeping has some decent recipes - I use one where the pudding is steamed in a tray of water in the oven. Then I steam it on the day in my slow cooker.

Tesco ususlly have Pyrex pudding basins quite cheap.

ComeOVeneer Fri 14-Aug-09 13:30:18

I agree, soak the currants, raisins etc in booze for 24hours before adding other ingredients and steaming it. I make 2 large ones for christmas and a handful of small ones to eat during the year. I love christmas pud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now