Talk

Advanced search

Baking experts: using one big cake tin instead of two sandwich tins

(8 Posts)
SpawnChorus Fri 14-Aug-09 09:06:02

Do you think I can bake this cake using one big 20cm tin, rather than two 20cm sandwich tins?

How should I adjust the baking time/temp?

Thanks!

SpawnChorus Fri 14-Aug-09 09:32:35

bump

SpawnChorus Fri 14-Aug-09 09:32:38

bump

gatheringstones Fri 14-Aug-09 09:35:04

hmm, nigella lawson in 'how to eat' talks about this very issue - pros and cons. i think you prob can do it, or she says you can with her recipe for birthday cake (kids) but i am not an expert so no idea how 'portable' this advice is for other recipes.

hang on a mo, i'll have a quick check in book...

QuintessentialShadows Fri 14-Aug-09 09:36:54

When I bake a sponge of that size I use 30 minutes on 180 degrees (electric not gas cooker) then reduce to 150 degrees for another 30 minutes. I still have to check if it is cooked through after.

The benefit of two sandwich tins is a very even cake, as you use the flat bottom both at the bottom and at the top, so the possible uneven bit of cake is in the middle.

However, a large cake divided in two also have the benefit of soaking up more of whatever you are brushing on it, as the surface is less dense. If that makes sense. But I am by no means an expert.

gatheringstones Fri 14-Aug-09 09:40:36

ah, ok, her cake is almost exactly the same ingerdients - just a bit more of eveyrthing

275 g each of butter flour sugar
5 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla ext
2 tablespoons of milk

(apart from the milk) and she recommends using a 25cm springform tin, cooling and then cutting it but says if you don't have one use sandwich tins.

so i'd risk doing one cake and cutting it but then it's not my cake so easy for me to say!

good luck!

gatheringstones Fri 14-Aug-09 09:42:52

sorry, timings she says cook at gas 6/ 200c for twenty mins and then in a gas 4/180c oven for about another 40 - 60 mins 'you may need to cover loosely with foil or greaseproof paper to stop it burning at end'
it is a bigger cake but hope that helps a bit.

SpawnChorus Fri 14-Aug-09 09:52:03

Oh you are all fab. Thank you!!

It's just for DS's birthday (he'll be 3, and it's not a big party...just us family) so I'm not too worried about perfect presentation. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now