Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why can't I make cakes?

(9 Posts)
SPARKLER1 Thu 26-May-05 17:10:06

This week I have made a chocolate sponge cake and today I have made chocolate fairy cakes. Both have been complete disastors. My sponge cake fell to pieces when I took it out of the baking tray. My fairy cakes ended up like cookies - well crunchy on the top and stuck to the paper cases at the bottom.
What am I doing wrong??
I so want to be able to cook.

purpleturtle Thu 26-May-05 17:12:11

Is it your oven? If it's not distributing heat evenly that would make it look like you can't bake, without it actually being your fault.

fastasleep Thu 26-May-05 17:13:10

I bet turtle's right....we had that problem at my old house and my mum was great at making cakes - you can do it! Stupid oven.

cod Thu 26-May-05 17:13:33

Message withdrawn

sweetmonkey Thu 26-May-05 17:15:04

i know slightly different but i cannot for the life of me make yorkshire puds in my blokes oven (it is fan assisted), yet when i make them at mine they turn out fine, (gas)
this happens with my mate as well. she has fan assisted and cannot make them . id thought it was just me being silly you see but she has same prob.
So could well be the oven
HTH

Mo2 Thu 26-May-05 17:16:19

What did you use for butter/ margarine?
You need to use something that is at least 70g fat/100g of product.
If you use anything less, they will contain more water and this will evaporate in cooking leaving your cakes etc brittle and dry?

fastasleep Thu 26-May-05 17:17:02

If delia's recipe doesn't work then you'll know it's your oven, or try cordon bleu recipes (I have the book don't know where to get them online though)

NannyL Thu 26-May-05 21:07:12

This is a completly fail safe recipie...

Turn oven on to 180 (GM5 i think) and let it heat up

In a bowl mix
100g SR flour
100g butter (softened) i find 1 min on defrost in microwave for 100g in MY microwave
100g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp baking powder
and 2 beaten eggs

Use an electric hand whisk or similar and beat for 2 mins (and its ALL Mixed)

Divide this mixture between 20 fairy cake cases (so u know they arnt too big or small)

and put into preheated over for 15mins (no more no less)

Get them out and let them cool.... should be purfect!

BTW my 4 year old charge can make these by HIMSELF (ecept oven bit!)

Good luck!!!

mancmum Thu 26-May-05 21:10:44

check out the temp of your oven with a thermometer -- they only cost a few quid -- if the oven is the wrong temp, even nigella would fail to make cakes!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now