Talk

Advanced search

Whole chicken in slow cooker

(10 Posts)
Montifer Thu 13-Aug-09 21:30:00

How's it done?
What do I need to put in (other than the chicken obviously) and low or high?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 13-Aug-09 21:33:09

I put mine in on top of a few rolled up balls of kitchen foil to keep it out of all the fat and juices and leave it on low all day while I'm at work. Seems to work fine - the meat falls off the carcass.

Montifer Thu 13-Aug-09 22:05:54

No liquid, nothing but the bird?!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 13-Aug-09 22:07:29

Yep! Just the chicken! grin

cece Thu 13-Aug-09 22:10:10

I add a small amount of water to mine with some salt and pepper and a sliced onion.

Montifer Thu 13-Aug-09 22:12:43

Wow, thanks, I'll give it a go.
It'll be nice to (slow) cook something that doesn't end up like stew - delicious tender stew though it usually is.

Any other non-stew SC recipes would be gratefully received smile

supersalstrawberry Thu 13-Aug-09 22:17:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 13-Aug-09 22:18:45

I did this once and it was a bit of a disaster. Firstly, it looked so pale and unappetising. Secondly, loads of lovely juices came out, which were delicious, but the chicken itself was quite dry. Maybe I did it for too long.

cece Thu 13-Aug-09 22:29:20

I do my spag bol in it too. Usually make about lunchtime to eat at dinnner. Brown off onions and mince beofre addign to sc.

danthe4th Thu 13-Aug-09 22:54:31

I do this with large chopped carrots and chunky potaoes for the bird to sit on with a small amount of stock. But I can also recommend a leg of lamb with half a bottle of red wine and a few shallots is fantastic, I do have quite a big slow cooker but try it with a smaller joint,my family love it, I have also done it with a joint of pork and a pint of cider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now