Talk

Advanced search

why cant i make jelly? am i that pathetic?

(8 Posts)
mothersmilk Thu 13-Aug-09 19:43:28

i made some jelly today for dd all it was was the bog standard hartleys sugar free iv done it befor and it never sets properly always a bit too wobbly so today i try less water and it still hasnt set properly why oh why cant i make bloody jelly?

Mousey84 Thu 13-Aug-09 19:44:36

Do you put it in the fridge?

Mousey84 Thu 13-Aug-09 19:45:28

oops - posted too soon. I let mine cool for an hour then shove it in fridge. I do usually make it well in advance tho.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 13-Aug-09 19:46:49

DP's mother has this problem. We have taken the piss discussed this as a family with his sibs and can find no reason. Odd though.

mothersmilk Thu 13-Aug-09 19:48:58

i put it in strait away perhaps thats why i'll try letting it cool first

quoteTHISyafuckers Thu 13-Aug-09 19:52:43

you didn't by any chance include pineapple, did you...?
Jelly won't set with pineapple in it.

LangeInEinenAbgrundBlickst Thu 13-Aug-09 20:03:26

After you have dissolved the crystals in boiling water you have to use cold water, ie from the fridge not room temp. As quote says if you add pineapple or strawberries then it doesn't set.

NumptyMum Thu 13-Aug-09 20:20:41

Perhaps it could be the brand of jelly? I make our jelly with hot water from kettle, let it cool then put it in fridge (ie I follow the instructions, but don't put any thought into it!). Ours isn't supermarket jelly, it's a veggie one that we get from local greengrocers. Perhaps try another brand and see if you have the same problem?

Or make blancmange grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now