Talk

Advanced search

Dripping, lard and goose fat

(7 Posts)
missorinoco Thu 13-Aug-09 15:49:30

I'm after advice please.

About to make toad in the hole. The recipes I've checked call for beef dripping or lard. We don't eat pork, and the local supermarket didn't sell dripping, so I've opted for goose fat. (Feel free to snigger if this will make my recipe weird.)

Anyway, my quesiton is, if I find somewhere that sells beef dripping, is it something one could/would use often, and what with? I'm trying not to clutter up my fridge and cupboards with "staples" such as cider vinegar, which I then throw away two years post the expiry date.

Thanks in anticipation.

Iklboo Thu 13-Aug-09 15:52:34

Most supermarkets sell beef dripping - it's not terribly expensive so if you didn;t use it all in one/two goes it wouldn't be a terrible crime to throw the remainder away or melt it down, chuck bird seed/peanuts in and leave to reharden for the birds.

I use it when cooking roast beef

WinomoreTheFruitbat Thu 13-Aug-09 15:58:22

I wouldn't have even thought to use any of the above. I've made toad in the hole a few times and just used sunflower oil. It was delicious! <<Fruity dreams of being off the diet so she can make it again.....>>

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 16:17:52

you don't need it often but Waitrose and farm shop sare worth a look

groundnut or sunflower oil will do for toad in the hole, not olive or butter as they burn at high temps

jeminthepantry Thu 13-Aug-09 16:20:33

Sunflower oil is fine for toad in the hole and yorkshires, imo.....goose fat is need more for roast pots, give extra flavour etc?

I've made yorkshire puds for years, my mam used lard but then she is VERY old....have always used sunflower oil, no probs.

missorinoco Thu 13-Aug-09 23:58:05

Thankyou!

PuppyLoves Sun 16-Aug-09 14:55:27

mrsbadger why does Jamies use olive oil for everything in MOF if it burns for everything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now