Talk

Advanced search

Food for baby/toddler to eat on train in sling with minimal mess. Is this a pipedream?

(7 Posts)
eclairea Thu 13-Aug-09 12:38:36

DS (10 months) is at nursery in preparation for me going back to work. At the moment I pick him up at 5, after he has had breakfast, snack, lunch, 'tea' (sandwiches etc) at nursery. We get home (about 30 mins later) and he has a breastfeed and then a little more food (rice pudding/toast or similar) then another feed before bed 7.30 ish. But when I start work I/DH will pick him up nearer 6. He will have had another snack at nursery (breadstick/rice cake). I wont have time to fit in 2 breast feeds before bed (he doesn't take much milk at nursery) so will cut down to 1. Won't have much time to feed him food when we get home either so I was wondering about him eating on the train, because I think to go from 4 (ish) to 7.30 with just a very small snack might not be enough food. We carry him in a sling so not sure I could feed him with a spoon, but not sure I fancy the mess any other way. Plus I need to have it with me, whatever it is, all day at work (where I do have a fridge). Anyone else do this? any ideas?

LionstarBigPants Thu 13-Aug-09 12:45:44

What about those sealed baby food/puree/smoothie type sachets that have a suckable top to them, he might get the hang of them.

Otherwise dry snacks - mini bread sticks, raisins, mini muffins (mine love savoury ones) etc.

MrsBadger Thu 13-Aug-09 12:51:25

breastfeed him in the sling on the train

no hassle, no mess, no tupperwares

CMOTdibbler Thu 13-Aug-09 12:52:37

Dry cereal is very popular - cheerios, shreddies etc you can add in some assorted dry fruit (anything but mango which produces a lot of orange staining as they eat). An apple or pear doesn't make a lot of mess down you as they eat it.

Babybel cheeses are OK too in terms of mess

LadyBee Thu 13-Aug-09 12:55:09

I don't do this regularly, but I did see on my train home the other day a Dad with his baby, feed him using an Ella's pouch (baby just held the pouch and sucked directly - very efficient and tidy grin), it looked like a regular occurrence to me.

I think I'd have some things available that keep, banana/boiled egg/make some mini muffins each week and freeze them, they'll thaw during the day out of the fridge, little bits of cheese. These could be offered in a one of those cups with handles and flexi lid (like this, if DS is face out in the sling he should be able to eat ok?
Breastfeed on the train? Or a bottle (EBM? kept in the fridge during the day and heated before you leave work?)

I give DS snacks on trains when we're out and about all the time - raisins are particularly good (but he's a little older than yours). Just try to wipe their hands beforehand.

eclairea Thu 13-Aug-09 21:37:52

Thanks some great ideas here. Could try breastfeeding but was hoping to wear a non-nursing bra to work - we will see. Will try all of these over the next month - will have to get on a different carriage each night if too messy!

CMOTdibbler Thu 13-Aug-09 21:41:29

Stick a big muslin in your bag - it can double as bib and tablecloth, then just gather it up to contain any crumbs.

Good luck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now