Talk

Advanced search

How long should one steam a two pint Christmas pudding?

(7 Posts)
twelveyeargap Wed 12-Aug-09 14:09:59

My mum gave me a recipe, but only gave pressure cooker (1.5hrs) and bain-marie (3.5hrs) cooking times.

I've used plastic pudding basins and don't have a pressure cooker, so I need to steam in a pot of water. Any ideas on times? Does it really need 8 hours as I've read on the net?

I have 13 pints (I'm not sure how that happend - puds as presents this year me thinks) of pudding in various pudding basin sizes. Presume the 1/2 pint puds would need considerably less time than the 2 pints?

Thanks!

PlasticWoman Wed 12-Aug-09 14:20:15

I tend to use a Delia Smith recipe for my Christmas puds, and she definitely says to do 8 hours for a 2 pinter. Her 1 pint puds I think are only 4 hours. It's a long, steamy process..

PuppyLoves Wed 12-Aug-09 14:22:25

Are you making Christmas puddings now? Should I start making mine now if I want one for christmas?

twelveyeargap Wed 12-Aug-09 14:41:30

I think November is the traditional time for making them. I haven't made them before so mum made up the mixture here with me a couple of days ago when she was visiting. I just added some Guinness and am doing the nasty steamy bin on my own!

Thanks for the time guides. Thankfully only have 2 large ones... So does it work that you halve the time if you halve the mixture? eg
2 pints = 8 hours
1.5 pint = 6 hours
1 pint = 4 hours
0.5 pint = 2 hours

PlasticWoman Wed 12-Aug-09 16:02:13

It doesn't quite work out like that with timings - there seems to be a minimum for Delia's recipe of three hours whatever the size. In her traditional Christmas pudding recipe, she says the quantity makes one 2 pinter, or eight 6oz (175g) mini puds, but that the small ones still need 3 hours.

However, I've seen other recipes where they steam for less; myself, I've only ever made this one (for the last 15 years or so) because I like it so much!

twelveyeargap Wed 12-Aug-09 16:06:57

OK great. Will do all the little 'uns for 3 hours. Thanks again.

Colonelcupcake Thu 13-Aug-09 23:37:13

I do 3 hrs now and 2 on the day for the 1.5 ones I have made mine now yummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now