Talk

Advanced search

How often do your kids get their '5 a day'?

(11 Posts)
Herecomesthesciencebint Tue 11-Aug-09 21:59:55

I know its just an arbitary figure but Im so obsessed with it!

DS1 (4) manages usually more like 6 or 7 a day but DS2 struggles to reach 5 and it drives me mad!

Its usually because he defaults a full meal for one reason or another and therefore misses the veg packed stew!, plus he wont even try a fair few fruits and wont snack on veg sticks or even raisins. DS1 was never this fussy and it drives me mad!

So how often do your lot manage it?

pollywobbledoodle Tue 11-Aug-09 22:07:10

usually....except when camping or at gp's house but have been phases when usually not would have been the answer!

pollywobbledoodle Tue 11-Aug-09 22:08:19

dd is nearly 6 btw and school talk a lot about healthy eating which helps

FAQtothefuture Tue 11-Aug-09 22:08:57

DS1 - occasionly - not very often tbh
DS2 - most day
DS3 - makes up for any that his older brothers miss out on grin

GodzillasBumcheek Tue 11-Aug-09 22:09:42

Usually they have three or four, but since the garden hit max vegg they have been having at least 5 nearly every day.

GodzillasBumcheek Tue 11-Aug-09 22:10:19

Except DD3 who doesn't like much except fruit and veg grin hmm

feedthegoat Tue 11-Aug-09 22:11:21

Always at least five.

Fruit and Veg aren't really the problem with ds (3). Persuading him that sandwiches, pizza, spag bol or chicken nuggets and chips aren't the only things to go with them is!

SolidGoldBrass Tue 11-Aug-09 22:12:39

We average around 3 a day and I reckon that's good enough. Life is too short to fuck about with portion sizes anyway: some days DS will (like today) binge on blackberries as well as having had loads of veg with his dinner, other days meals will have been sandwiches and spaghetti carbonara with maybe an apple and a glass of fruit juice somewhere along the way.

SixtyFootDoll Tue 11-Aug-09 22:12:40

DS2 - quite often
DS1 - very rarely, lucky to get one a day in him

CMOTdibbler Tue 11-Aug-09 22:14:10

DS(3) def gets his 5 a day - at nursery they have 5 fruit and 5 veg a day, and he eats it all. And then some more at home

BlueChampagne Wed 12-Aug-09 13:05:04

DS (2) most days - luckily for us he loves fruit and veg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now