Talk

Advanced search

I need new loaf tins. I do not wish to buy any more after this for millions of years. What shall I get?

(22 Posts)
Hopefully Tue 11-Aug-09 21:28:02

I'm finally going to replace the 99p sainsbury's value load tins, and I want something that will last forever. Don't mind paying a bit more for the perfect loaf tins. I bake bread every few days, and really want a couple of traditional loaf tins (1lb and 2lb) and some baking trays for baking rolls on - baking trays less important, but I seem to have problems with loaves sticking to the sides of the loaf tin, even though I'm greasing them.

Don't really want to use parchment paper every time, as I'm trying to reduce our waste, not add to it. If I get reusable baking parchment it's just another thing to clean, which when i'm baking 3-4 loaves a week is a pain in the neck (no dishwasher).

Any recommendations?

deepdarkwood Tue 11-Aug-09 21:30:05

www.lakeland.co.uk/loaf-tins/F/C/cooking-baking/C/cooking-baking-bread-making/product/13481_13483 too cutesy?

Hopefully Wed 12-Aug-09 12:19:28

I actually really like them blush, but I'm worried that the bread will stick... MIL is a Lakeland addict, bet she has one I can try.

SoupDragon Wed 12-Aug-09 12:20:52

I bought my dad some tins from a catering firm. he bakes all theri bread and wanted a proper sized loaf tin, not the shallower ones you seem to get everywhere

foxinsocks Wed 12-Aug-09 12:21:47

oh you're good

I have those sainsburys ones and use the cheap greaseproof paper

can you give me your bread making tips (and recipes if poss) because whenever I do mine, it comes out like a brick.

have got those flexible type cake tins (can't remember what they are made of) and would never go back to metal ones again so if they have the flexible ones, I'd go for those

AstronomyDomine Wed 12-Aug-09 12:22:20

Mine are cheap things from Morrisons; bread never sticks, I even wipe most of the oil off again with kitchen roll before putting the dough in (I'm a cheapskate really, I can spread a smaller amount between more tins doing that!)

zozokat Wed 12-Aug-09 12:26:06

we have Mermaid loaf tins and baking trays, they work really well (as they should for the price and are british made …

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mermaid-14-5-Baking-Tray-Anodised/dp/B0008EG3UE

AstronomyDomine Wed 12-Aug-09 12:26:49

Fox this recipe never fails, works even for the white-flour bread which usually needs a proving, knock-back, second proving.

500g flour (any)
1 sachet easymix yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps oil
1 tbps honey (clear)
300ml water (1 part boiled to 2 parts cold)

I "cheat" - whizz everything in the food-processor, hand knead for about a minute, shape and put in tin. Leave until doubled (usually about an hour) then put into hot oven (210C) for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 175-180C for 35 minutes.
Trust me, the bread is always very very light with an amazing crust.

Before I found this fool-proof recipe (Good Food) my loaves were usually very heavy and often still a bit wet... not any more grin

Tortoise Wed 12-Aug-09 12:31:02

use this for stopping cakes sticking. Works perfectly.
Doesn't say if it can be used with bread though but worth a try.

Tortoise Wed 12-Aug-09 12:31:58

There was an 'I' at the start of that sentence!

foxinsocks Wed 12-Aug-09 12:35:59

oh Astronomy thank you! I shall try that and see how it works. I love the idea of home bread but even the kids have started eye rolling when I suggest making it now wink

fishie Wed 12-Aug-09 12:36:46

i've got

a mermaid baking sheet for rolls and non-tinned loaves (what is the proper term?) - i use semolina on that to stop sticking

one loaf tin for wholemeal which is non stick, i oil that

smaller alu tin for white loaves which i rub with butter and sprinkle flour on.

AstronomyDomine Wed 12-Aug-09 12:38:33

trust me - it won't last long grin

I should add - when I say any flour, I do mean any bread flour i.e. the strong stuff.

AstronomyDomine Wed 12-Aug-09 12:46:55

Fox I hope you see this before you try it out... I should have put any strong flour... bugger!

ksld Wed 12-Aug-09 13:15:58

Don't get the flexible ones - good friend who bakes all her own bed which NEVER fails used them and it didn't cook the middle of the loaves - think it must need the metal to heat up to cook through..

ShauntheSheep Wed 12-Aug-09 13:43:26

I won a set of Pyrex tins and one of them is a loaf tin and they are fabulous!! Cant say I'd ever buy one as I'd probably die of shock at hte price but they are very very good and there are strict rules that no roasting is to be done in my lovely new baking tins as that is what runied all of the old ones. Dp does most of the roasts and he loves the yorkshire pudding tray that came in hte set.

foxinsocks Wed 12-Aug-09 16:00:49

it's ok astronomy, I saw it wink

Hopefully Wed 12-Aug-09 22:13:29

Having googled and researched maniacally for some time (DP is thoroughly bored of the subject) I think I'm going to go for the Mermaid ones - they seem to be universally loved! Although I was briefly tempted by (a) silicone, (c) cast iron (c) stoneware and (d) some vintage shabby chic looking things that would look gorgeous but get dough stuck in the corners.

Hopefully Wed 12-Aug-09 22:14:52

Oh, and Astronomy has a much simpler recipe than the one I use. Mine involved rising it twice, and I've only just managed to stop making bricks in the last month or so... Although my bread is now rather tasty.

Doodle2u Wed 12-Aug-09 22:17:33

Message withdrawn

AstronomyDomine Wed 12-Aug-09 22:38:30

Trust me - I didn't think a single rise would work but it does, beautifully.

slng Thu 13-Aug-09 09:54:47

Hopefully - I oil my cheapo loaf tin and then dust it with flour after and bread doesn't stick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now