Talk

Advanced search

Nigellas malteser cake - anyone made it?

(12 Posts)
christiana Tue 11-Aug-09 15:57:00

Message withdrawn

MissisBoot Tue 11-Aug-09 16:05:46

I've made it and pretty sure it is right - are you using the recipe from feast?

It has a funny consistency - not like a normal sponge but very eatable never the less

Make sure you do the topping too!

sfxmum Tue 11-Aug-09 16:13:36

I made it sometime ago very malty and child friendly
just checked recipe and it is 15g can't recall making adjustments it all went very quickly so must have been nice

shoofly Tue 11-Aug-09 16:20:40

yes it's lovely - have made it a few times and it always vanishes very quickly

Sparkletastic Tue 11-Aug-09 16:23:22

It is a very runny odd cake mix indeed - it is okay but quite bland IMO. Basically the only point of it is the Maltesers on the top grin

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 11-Aug-09 16:31:45

It's ok, not brilliant.

The 'old fashioned chocolate cake' recipe in Feast is much better. Really fudgey and scrummy.

I make that cake quite alot.

You could always stick maltesers on the top of that, it works for usgrin

midnightexpress Tue 11-Aug-09 16:34:37

I made it for ds2's birthday I think. Was nothing to write home about. Rather bland iirc. Agree that it was only really saved by the icing/maltesers.

christiana Tue 11-Aug-09 22:29:35

Message withdrawn

andiem Tue 11-Aug-09 22:31:36

yes the malteser cake is bland as everyone says and I find it has a slightly springy consistency
the choc cake with the icing and maltesers would work better

deepdarkwood Tue 11-Aug-09 22:33:49

Agree with everyone - it's just a bit pointless - just make a nice choc cake and put maltesers on smile
(although I think I did follow the recipe and think it came out ok ito the butter amounts- just a bit meh)

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 11-Aug-09 22:49:45

It is fab...I do it every birthday. And if for small children I don't sandwich it, but just do 2 cakes. Rises brilliantly.

surprised to see some don't like it - I have never had any complaints (perhaps they don't dare wink) and the children adore it (not too rich for them).

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 12-Aug-09 06:38:46

The old fashioned chocolate cake topped with the icing from that recipe and maltesers on the top has to be as good as it getsgrin

It is a rich cake but it has much more depth of flavour IMO and it's very moist. That's the cake I make for birthdays and for gifts and everyone seems to love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now