Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need a recipe to use up LOTS of bananas

(10 Posts)
2jamsandwiches Tue 11-Aug-09 13:05:24

Have about 20 bananas about to go black. All the muffin recipes I can find need 3 or 4 tops. I can't make 5 batches! Anyone got a recipe for something delicious that needs LOTS of bananas?

bunjies Tue 11-Aug-09 13:38:07

How about smoothies? Just blitz up bananas with some natural yoghurt, milk and honey. The milk is used to think it. Alternatively don't add the milk and use freeze the mixture as ice lollies. Or mash bananas with cream and make a kind of ice cream.

bunjies Tue 11-Aug-09 13:38:45

Oops, that was meant to say thin it!!

SoupDragon Tue 11-Aug-09 13:40:47

Peel the bananas and freeze them in boxes of 3-4. They'll be fine for cooking with. Alternatively, slice & freeze them and eat them frozen - they taste like icecream!

flatcapandpearls Tue 11-Aug-09 13:41:56

We love bananas in coconut milk with sesame seeds on top.

MadreInglese Tue 11-Aug-09 13:43:10

Banana bread?

(no idea how to make it though, sorry!)

MadreInglese Tue 11-Aug-09 13:43:40

or maybe it's called banana loaf.....

SoupDragon Tue 11-Aug-09 13:58:05

Nigella's banana bread
100g sultanas
75ml bourbon/rum (I've used apple juice sccessfully though!!)
175g plan flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
half teaspoon bicarb
half teaspoon salt
125 g butter (melted)
150g sugar
2 large eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
60g walnuts (I've never put these in)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
loaf tin, buttered and floured or lined with greaseproof paper

Put sultanas & rum in saucepan, bring to the boil and leave for an hour or until the liquid's mostly been absorbed. This plumps up the sultanas. Drain.

Preheat oven to GM 3 170 C

Put flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a bowl and mix.

In another bowl, mix butter & sugar and beat until blended (or use a mixer!!)

Beat in eggs one at a time and then the bananas.

Stir in walnuts, sultanas and vanilla.

Add the flour mix 1/3 at a time, stirring well each time.

Scrape into loaf tin (I've had to pour it on occasions!) and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 - 1.2 hours. Leave in the tin to cool.

This freezes well (slice it before freezing and then you can defrost it with 30s in the microwave) and also comes up well with thawed frozen banananas.

2jamsandwiches Tue 11-Aug-09 14:45:46

well how stupid can i be. freezing them sounds like much the best plan, then I can use them up bit by bit.
Though if anyone has a link to a really good, puffy, I-can't-believe-you-made-that banana muffin recipe (special present) I'd be v grateful!
off to try and squeeze bananas into the freezer (how do I freeze them, by the way - whole? mashed? sliced? in skins?!)

SoupDragon Tue 11-Aug-09 15:12:30

I tend to freeze them peeled and sliced.

Or I shove them in whole and unpeeled if I'm in a hurry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now