Talk

Advanced search

How much milk/water/juice is too much everyday?

(2 Posts)
sparkiestfiend Mon 10-Aug-09 22:25:55

Hi there, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this or not, but I can't seem to find any advice anywhere about guidelines for liquid intake for toddlers.

My ds is 21 months. He is still drinking 2 full (up to 10oz) bottles per day (one morning, one bedtime). He would also drink up to 5 beakers full of water/very weak diluted juice everyday. He eats normally, so its not affecting his appetite.

He always has very 'loose' nappies (has never had a normal solid poo since he was born - but was tested for lactose intolerance which was negative) (TMI!!??)

He seems to have skin allergic reactions to about every third item of food he eats, but I feel like I live in the doctors surgery about his allergies and I've got no answers! Don't want to bother the doctor about the water/milk thing unless anyone thinks it may be cause for concern!

I sometimes feel like I'm being completely neurotic - but I know that something probably isn't right between his loose bowels, drinking the equivalent of 7 cups of water/milk/juice (including bottles) a day and his allergic reactions to everything he looks at sideways!

Sorry......I've ranted a bit, I'm new to all this, I usually just lurk around in the background, but really needed some advice this time! blush

Thanks in advance, xx

Sidge Mon 10-Aug-09 23:09:39

Drinking 7 cups of water a day isn't a problem as any excess water (ie not needed in the body) would be excreted, by being weed out.

Diluted squash is more of a problem - it can cause toddler diarrhoea.

Milk twice a day probably isn't a problem as it is also food and as long as he isn't having it all day long then it shouldn't cause any harm.

I would cut down on the squash and just give water and see if that helps the diarrhoea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now