Talk

Advanced search

TOP 5 EASY ONE POT RECIPES FOR LARGE, HUNGRY FAMILY..................?

(5 Posts)
enprovence Sun 09-Aug-09 14:33:58

I am sick and tired of trying to figure out what to make for my family (3 boys and a hungry husband). What I want is one pot dishes that I can prepare night before and just pop in the oven, and serve!

Would be grateful for quick, easy, cheap recipes, your TOP 5 and I will try them on my brood!!

pontynan Sun 09-Aug-09 14:58:26

this is one of our family favourites

Creamy Lemon chicken

(adjust quantities as you like - this lot feeds about 3, I'd probably double it for your family but depends on how big the boys are. That said, the proportions are fairly flexible.)

2 mugs cooked rice (2 x boil in the bag for me)
cooked chicken breasts, diced up (or ready cooked rotisserie with the meat picked off)- about 2 mugs
1 mug celery finely chopped
1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
1 cup onions finely chopped
and the mystery ingredient....
1 tin water chestnuts coarsely chopped

mix this lot together then make a sauce in a bowl as follows

tin of Campbell's condensed chicken soup
1 tin of chicken stock (put 1 chicken stock cube in empty soup tin and add boiling water)
about three quarters of the same tin of Hellmans mayonnaise
large squirt of instant lemon juice

mix the sauce ingredients until smooth and add lemon until quite tangy.

Mix in the rice mixture. Should be quite creamy as some liquid will be absorbed in cooking.

Put in large oven proof dish.

Before you cook it, empty a load of plain potato crisps over the top and stick it in the oven until heated through (main ingredients already cooked so just needs to be hotted up)

StirlingTheTired Sun 09-Aug-09 18:41:24

I did a search on Good Food for one-pots and these are the results.

smile

KellyDD Thu 27-Aug-09 11:11:55

I love easy one dish - all in the oven in one go - dishes! Just a bit of chopping then prodding towards the end!

Mid-Week Chicken Roast for 4 - 40 mins 

1 tbsp olive oil
8 chicken thighs
300g carrots, cut into pieces
2 large parsnips, cut into wedges
750g potatoes, cut into wedges e.g. King Edwards
1 tbsp thyme or oregano or rosemary
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a large roasting tin with all the vegetables. Stir in the thyme, honey and Worcestershire sauce.
Bake for 30 minutes then drain most of the excess juice and reserve. Bake for a further 10 minutes. Serve with the reserved juice as gravy.

My Favourite Bean Hotpot
1 large onion
2 carrots
Any other fridge veg - love aubergines
2 tin tomatoes
tin cannelini beans or butter beans
2 diced potatoes
grate a clove of garlic in
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
tsp orgeano
worcestershire sauce

Chop all the veg into chunks, lightly saute in some oil with the lid on (try to avoid browning) for 10 mins, when they're softening add the tomatoes and simmer for 20mins, add the seasonings and any extras your boys like - I usually get a request for Nandos peri-peri sauce - then the beans, and simmer for 10-15 mins more. Serve with jacket or mashed potatoes/crusty bread with lots of cheese melted on top!

This easy dish pretty much uses the storecupboard staples simple sausage one pan casserole

Good luck! Let us know what they go for!

Wallace Thu 27-Aug-09 11:30:16

saving this thread for inspitation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now