Talk

Advanced search

Cake tin (baking) question

(7 Posts)
OhBling Sun 09-Aug-09 14:06:03

I am new to baking and have invested in a suitably flash looking baking tin from Lakeland - one that lets you take the bottom out for easier access. However, all the recipes I am looking at insist that you need to line your baking tin. Do i? I would have thought at most a bit of butter in the tin would work?

StirlingTheTired Sun 09-Aug-09 18:31:29

Must admit, I have some of those cake tins but I always line the bottom with greaseproof paper. Maybe just butter would be ok - Someone more knowledgeable may come along soon smile

TrillianAstra Sun 09-Aug-09 18:33:17

My mum always buttered and then shook some flour around in the tin to make it stickproof.

donnie Sun 09-Aug-09 18:39:13

butter alone won't do it - you need the paper!

franklymydear Sun 09-Aug-09 18:42:51

I often just butter (generously) on a spring-form tin and it works

I always line sandwich tins though

LucyTownsend Sun 09-Aug-09 18:55:44

Either butter and flour

OR

Lakeland cake release - fab stuff!

OR

Cake tin liners - you can get seperate ones which line bottom and sides so ideal for tins you can take the bottom off of.

Butter lining and flour shook around cheapest though!

OhBling Mon 10-Aug-09 09:15:37

Thanks all. Sounds like there are as many options as there are people baking! I will experiment - cautiously.

Yesterday's cake was a roaring success .... except that I hadn't read the part of the instructions that required it to be set for a few hours. So it turned into dessert instead of tea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now