Talk

Advanced search

Plums, apples, pears, blackberries. We are having a glut and I don't know what to do with them all.

(4 Posts)
RinkyDinkyPinky Sun 09-Aug-09 09:27:42

We have a tangle of fruit trees at the end of the garden and they are all producing a lot.

The blackberries are a bit sour so we are stewing them with the apples.

Any ideas how to use them up other than stewing and eating with a bit of yoghurt? Ideas that are quick and easy and not to unhealthy would help! I have 2 little DDs and not enough time generally.

Thandeka Sun 09-Aug-09 09:50:08

Oooh please can you make me a apple and blackcurrant pie? Have been craving one (am oop le doof).

Ta!

Oh and one of those french pear tarts would be nice too!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 09-Aug-09 10:50:24

The apples should hopefully store quite well.

I think if you were to quarter the plums they would freeze well enough for cooking.

Pears go well with blackberries in crumble and pie. You could also steep the blackberries in gin and sugar for a good couple of months in a kilner jar for a very adult pudding, or if you use more gin (use a 75cl bottle poured into a 1l bottle and top up with blackberries and a little sugar for a very adult drink!

blackberry jam is good and not so hard really.

or you could make wine with them wink

RinkyDinkyPinky Sun 09-Aug-09 20:50:19

Thandeka- now you're talking with pear tart! I'll send you one once i've perfected it <don't hold breath!> Good luck w pg!

OhYouBadKitten- dad's home-brew has put me off wine making for life <phew> but I do like the gin idea. grin
I didn't know you can still get kilner jars: we used to have a stash under the spare room wardrobe when I was a kid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now