Talk

Advanced search

Could you recommend a book for Fussy Eaters?

(8 Posts)
Sequin1 Sun 09-Aug-09 08:31:05

Hi there

The title says it all really!

My 18mth old DS has now narrowed his food down to Weetabix, Ready Brek, Cheerios, Peanut Butter Sandwiches, toast, Sausages, roast potatoes, breadsticks, yoghurt, fruit pots thats it! Apart from of course will eat all types of pudding, biscuit, cake, crisp if he had the chance!

My HV is coming to see me tomorrow as I dont know how to handle it and it has been going on for a couple of months now, I have made the mistake of getting very stressed.

I am wondering if anyone could recommend a book that might help me understand it all and give me some ideas on how to approach it.

Thanks

sailorsgal Sun 09-Aug-09 09:01:23

I have a good book called "meals without tears"

My ds aged 3 is the same but it has got slightly better, still not great.

Somebody else recommended another book on another thread, will try to find it for you.

You could give him a multivitamin whilst he goes through this stage.

sailorsgal Sun 09-Aug-09 09:03:58

Its called "My child won't eat" by Carlos Gonzalez. Its available on amazon.

iwantitnow Mon 10-Aug-09 20:46:50

I have read both would definitely recommend meals without tears. Think my child won't eat much more focused on BFed babies who won't eat IMO.

Honestly the range of food you are stating seems pretty good. Short on veg & fresh fruit - smoothies and hiding veg a good idea. Meals without tears will give you some good ideas.

Put a new food consistently next to the food he will eat, eat it too at the same time and in a few weeks he will eat it. Eat the same food in general has helped.

IKnowWhoYouAre Mon 10-Aug-09 21:12:52

It's surprising how few books are around about this, considering how many people have to deal with it. Dealing with difficult eaters is a new one I read - quite good, lots of practical ideas.

NumptyMum Mon 10-Aug-09 21:25:20

I'm racking my brain because my in-laws spotted a useful article in a Sunday magazine earlier this year, which I kept then finally threw away... not sure I'll find it.

But did just find this article though, which is reassuring...

NumptyMum Mon 10-Aug-09 21:35:53

I have to say that DS (nearly 2) is sometimes picky and won't eat much at all, just takes against it, and other times is OK. Luckily he eats fruit, but veg can either be steamed, blitzed and added to a cheese or tomato sauce with pasta, or (for some reason) he tolerates veg much better when they are in a stew or soup, and soft to chew. Worth a try??? Meat is more of a problem... fish works well in chowder.

What I end up doing (probably same as you do already) is cook something we can eat together as a family and if he doesn't eat his, just put it to one side, don't offer an alternative, and see if he's more into whatever is on offer at the next meal. Mind you we always offer yogurt as pudding, poss with banana, so that he gets some fat, protein and carbs. If your DS likes yogurt, will he tolerate philadelphia sarnies?

Good luck!

Sequin1 Tue 11-Aug-09 13:53:45

Aah thanks everyone for your comments. I have now bought the Meals without tears book so fingers crossed!

Will try hiding some Philidelphia under the peanut butter sandwiches.

I think I will also look at doing some smoothies.

Also HV was really understanding gave me some tips and some reassurance.

Thanks again everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now