Talk

Advanced search

Knives for the home cook, what brand is good, and how much to spend?

(16 Posts)
JeMeSouviens Fri 07-Aug-09 17:06:20

I have a set of knives in a block which are years old. The tips have broken off the smaller ones, and the big one is no longer able to be sharpened.

I'm a competent cook, but more follow the recipe type, than make it up.

I think I'd prefer to buy them individually, then I can build them up over time.

What knife brands do you recommend and which knife types would you not be without in your set (eg serrated, fileting...)?

OhBling Fri 07-Aug-09 17:11:07

I am not sure about brands as I bought mine in south africa. But good knives are fabulous. If I had to have only one knive, I'd go for a general purpose knive with a straight edge - they can be used for delicate things if necessary and, in a pinch, you could use it for carving if you had to.

My second knive would be a largish chef's knife.

You will never regret investing in good knives! It has chanaged my life!

JeMeSouviens Fri 07-Aug-09 17:42:45

Thanks OhBling.

I've been doing some quick research and recommended brands are:

Wusthof
Henckels
Calphalon
Santoku (this might be a type of knife rather than brand, as it appears in the Wusthof range)
Messermeister

And list of types:

paring
bread
boning
chefs
carving
shears

Has anyone tried/got the above brands? I'm leaning towards a Wusthof Classic set at the moment.

Ithaca Fri 07-Aug-09 18:15:44

I have Henckels and they're great, chose them for similar reasons to yours, and these felt best in the hand to me (liked Global but not the handles). Bought 2 at first, a small (paring?) one and what they call a vegetable slicing one to use as general big knife, then bought the heavier chef's knife as the veg one wasn't quite enough for things like cutting a butternut squash in half. Still have old serrated knives as they're ok.

You need a good knife sharpener too to keep them in shape, we got one of these.

I was told to not wash them (using detergent) but rinse/wipe under cold running water and dry straight away.

hth

MikeStand Fri 07-Aug-09 22:26:12

Wusthof Classic are excellent. Make sure to get to try them in the shop even if you are a bit naughty and find them for less on internet. I have 10cm, 16cm and 20cm + 16cm flexible boning knife and the 23cm serrated which is an awesome breadknife. People who visit (and are kind enough to chop something) always comment on how good they are. I would really like an oriental cooks knife but can manage quite nicely without one. I was given same cleaning advice as Ithaca and I have the same knife sharpener. Also told to sharpen alternate uses. If you want to do it gradually I'd start with the 16cm and see how you go on.

CMOTdibbler Fri 07-Aug-09 22:29:21

We've got Globals. Even though they go through the dishwasher, they are lasting amazingly well, and really hold their edge

lizziemun Sat 08-Aug-09 08:26:05

I would spend as much as can afford. But you do need to see and hold then before you buy as you need to know they are balanced right for you when using them.

MuffinToptheMule Sun 09-Aug-09 17:48:44

If you don't wash a knife with detergent how do you clean it properly? For example you cut an onion and then you run it under cold water and dry it and then you cut an apple. Your apple will taste like onion.

dcgc Sun 09-Aug-09 17:57:11

I would definitely recommend Global. They're expensive (around £50 per knife) but as you said, we've just built them up over time. We have a big chef's knife, a small peeler, a vegetable cutter (square type one) and one of the smaller chef's knives. We've had our for years and put them through the dishwasher and they've lasted really well, showing no sign of wear and tear.

christiana Sun 09-Aug-09 17:59:09

Message withdrawn

dcgc Sun 09-Aug-09 18:18:18

ooh heck, thanks christiana. funnily enough dh keeps saying that they shouldn't go in dishwasher but ignored him as he couldn't back it up with any explanation as to why!! Will reconsider now! Thanks

abroadandmisunderstood Sun 09-Aug-09 18:23:07

Used to be a Sabatier fan until DH bought a Global chef's knife. I avoided it for three months because it looked so intimidating, but, my Lordy, once I tried it there was no going back.

ZacharyQuack Mon 10-Aug-09 10:27:34

Another vote for Global. Great knives.

timmette Mon 10-Aug-09 11:13:10

I have Global - they are great have had them maybe 2 years now - they are expensive but they were on a deal in Good Food magazine at the time .

MissisBoot Mon 10-Aug-09 11:17:42

Definitely Global - they also normally do a special deal around xmas time where you'll get 7 knives for £100 less than if you were to buy them seperately with a knife block thrown in!

JeMeSouviens Mon 10-Aug-09 19:51:28

thanks, lots more recommendations for me to check out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now