Talk

Advanced search

I have a marrow and no recipe (or clue what to do with it) can you help?

(12 Posts)
JigglyPiggy Fri 07-Aug-09 13:50:51

as the title says I need a recipe/ideas for what to do with a marrow.

I am veggie and trying to stick to slimming world so the healthier the better!

thanks

AstronomyDomine Fri 07-Aug-09 13:53:06

Slimming World Recipes including stuffed marrow grin

AstronomyDomine Fri 07-Aug-09 13:54:21

Just noted you're veggie - s'ok though as you can use quorn.

ellagrace Fri 07-Aug-09 13:56:20

personal recommendation throw it away and wonder why the hell did i buy this?

ellagrace Fri 07-Aug-09 13:57:22

sorry - horrible memories of rank smelling mince stuffed endless home grown marrows as a child. no puke emoticon available grin

JigglyPiggy Fri 07-Aug-09 14:00:01

LOL ellagrace

Can't chuck it as won it as slimmer of the week so I'm determined it will be cooked and eaten!

thanks astronomy smile

beesonmummyshead Mon 10-Aug-09 20:34:28

I detest stuffed marrow however i tried one recipe from my veg box which was delicious! seriously. definitely worth a go (and low fat too)

stuffed marrows with curried mushrooms

EyeballsintheSky Mon 10-Aug-09 20:38:42

Are you me? Our neighbour has just given us a marrow, don't think I've ever even touched one before.

KirstyJC Mon 10-Aug-09 20:41:39

Just chuck it in a curry - that's what I do with any vegetables I don't know what to do with!

Try frying an onion and some garlic, add some dried chillies/chilli paste/chilli powder. Cube up the marrow, chuck it in. Some tomatoes if you have them. Then some curry powder or cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, garam masala etc - I just use whatever is around at the time!

You can bulk it out with red lentils too, I often do this with a veggie chilli. Old spuds are good too - they curry well even if they've gone all soft 'cos they've been in the back of the cupboard for weeks!

If you put enough other stuff in, maybe you won't have to taste the marrow!grin

Hobnobfanatic Mon 10-Aug-09 20:45:11

I stuffed ours -with mince, onions, tom puree and anything that needed using up. It fed 6 with some left over. But it was pretty bland. I wish I'd gone for KirstyJC's recipe - sounds far tastier!

KirstyJC Mon 10-Aug-09 21:00:07

Thanks Hobnobfanatic!grin I do think it does sound good, but I just made it up on the spot and haven't actually tried it!!!

I have done something similar with squash and courgette though and it was lovely - I think enough garlic and spices can make pretty much anything taste OK! Helps if you have something to wash it down with too....wink

Hobnobfanatic Tue 11-Aug-09 23:21:20

I'll let you know when I've tried it out - sounds lovely!
I put rice in the mince - but lentils would be good too. It helps to 'pack out the filling', expanding inside, making it easier to slice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now