Talk

Advanced search

Would you cook 1 or 2 packs of fillets for yourself, dh and dd?

(15 Posts)

We're talking here about things like salmon/chicken/pork that always seem to come in pairs. I cook for dh and myself after dd has gone to bed but put leftovers in the fridge for her lunch next day. Usually I just cook 2 fillets, cut a bit off mine and leave her that but she loves that sort of meat and would eat far more (she's 22 months) - enough to leave me with only half a fillet or less. Cooking 4 fillets seems overkill though. What does everybody else do with this type of thing?

UniS Thu 06-Aug-09 13:12:31

1 pack. dh and I just have a little less than we would have had pre child. The basic range often have 3 smaller ones in so they are worth a look at at.
Doesn't do us adults any harm to have a little less meat and a bit more veg.

cornflakegirl Thu 06-Aug-09 13:20:36

1 pack - DS is 4.

Cies Thu 06-Aug-09 13:22:05

In your case I'd do one pack and have more veg myself.

Or you could always buy two packs and freeze the steak that you don't use.

Iklboo Thu 06-Aug-09 13:23:03

You could always cook 3 and freeze the fourth one. Next time you would only need to buy a pack of 2 and use the one from the freezer

Iklboo Thu 06-Aug-09 13:23:34

x posts cies

diedandgonetodevon Thu 06-Aug-09 13:27:29

I'd cook one pack and share one mine with DS and just add extra veg.
We seem to have got used to eating far too much meat & fish IMO.

MrsBadger Thu 06-Aug-09 13:27:42

1, but we very rarely eat them just as lumps of meat because it's such an expensive way to do it

we usually have them sliced or diced in a stir fry / curry / casserole / risotto / pasta dish etc with lots of veg as well

mrspnut Thu 06-Aug-09 13:33:19

If you can't go to the butchers and get 3 or 2 and a small one then I'd do what Iklboo and Cies said and buy two packs whilst freezing the extra one for next time.

We have this quite a lot because there are 3 meat eaters and one vegetarian in our family and everything comes in even numbers.

Hadn't thought of splitting a pack before freezing - put it down to tiredness wink. Thanks people.

feedthegoat Fri 07-Aug-09 08:25:05

1 but my ds isn't really much of a meat eater. Most of the time I'm putting it on his plate so I'll feel better that I've at least offered it.

You can also buy large bags of individually wrapped chicken breasts for freezing that will work out much cheaper if you are using lots.

SecretSlattern Fri 07-Aug-09 08:39:11

I tend to overcook stuff like that and fridge lunch for the DC's out of it. If I were to split things before cooking it, I'd forget about it and not use it again which would be more of a waste than not cooking it iyswim

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 07-Aug-09 08:54:14

We had this issue when we got an AP - so 3 adults to feed not two. Quite often I buy larger quantities and freeze 3 portions. Or i split 2 between 3 anyway. Chicken breasts can be huge. Quite often chop them up, griddle and serve with lots of lentils / veg etc.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Fri 07-Aug-09 09:10:24

I get one pack, but the biggest ones available, and then either use the leftovers for ds2 (17mo) or chop a bit off to cook separately. (I have 2 dcs but ds1 doesn't eat meat).

As and when ds2 needs bigger portions, and if ds1 ever decides to eat food <sigh>, I'd buy 2 packs and freeze the 4th fillet.

Overmydeadbody Fri 07-Aug-09 11:32:10

I pack plus lots more veg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now