Talk

Advanced search

Ideas wanted for cheap quick vegetarian recipes that can be reheated please?

(11 Posts)
Beauregard Thu 06-Aug-09 11:24:17

We are becoming a family of ready made meals.
I am not a fantastic cook but can follow an easy recipe.
I work evenings so need to prepare food in the morning.
I want ideas for meals that we can all eat and since i am veggie they would have to be meat and fish free or adaptable.
Dont want much do i?

HensMum Thu 06-Aug-09 11:35:44

Soup, ratatouille, stews, curries etc etc.

Cook big batches of tomato sauce and cheese sauce. Then they can be used as pasta sauces (could add some meat or fish to the tomato sauce) or sauce for vegetables (like cauliflower cheese).

Falafel with cous cous and salad is really really quick to prepare.

Another easy thing is a sheet of ready rolled puff pastry, add tomato puree, chopped veggies and cheese and cook for 20mins.

OhBling Thu 06-Aug-09 11:43:03

Quiches can be made in advance and just lightly warmed through before eating (or eaten cold). Buy ready made pastry cases for convenience then all you have to do is add the eggs and milk/cream plus whatever vegetarian combination you like. If you have meat eaters and there are enough people, it's also easy to do two smaller ones and have over two days with one meat version and one veggie version.

Do you have time to do any cooking in the evening at all? Because roasted tomatoes are a winner I think - roast them with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and some mixed herbs and/or chilli until they start to carmalise and serve with pasta and parmesan. Or roast them with just some olive oil and mix with pasta and pesto and feta cheese.

I make curries out of onion and peppers fried with some curry powder and cumin/coriander and then add tomatoes and chickpeas and simmer for 30 minutes. Easily reheated and delicious. Add butternut or courgettes if you want to bulk it up more.

Roast whole butter nut (prick a few times first) - this can take a while but if you can put them in the oven and leave them it's painless. Then open them up and scoop out some of the flesh and mix it with ricotta cheese, sage or rosemary (either works) and some parmesan and put back. Or mix the flesh with some sweetcorn, cheese and couscous and rosemary. Easily made in the morning and then heated up in the evening.

Lentil soup is cheap and easy and keeps well too.

Overmydeadbody Thu 06-Aug-09 11:46:40

Couscous salad easy and can be eaten cold.

Roasted vegetables.

Vegetable tagine can be made in advance.

Pasta sauces can be made in big batches in advanc and frozen.

Cies Thu 06-Aug-09 11:47:39

Things like lentil/chickpea curry can be made in advance and heated up later.

Risottos too (be careful to cool quickly and reheat thoroughly).

OhBling Thu 06-Aug-09 11:47:40

Oh - and spinach and ricotta with the butternut can be nice too.

Also, spinach and pea soup is so quick and easy it's a last minute staple in our house because I use frozen peas and spinach so always have the ingredients. Fry some onion in a little oil then add spinach and peas (whatever ratio you have them to hand is fine - I normally go about 2/3 spinach to peas) and stock - pour the hot stock in slowly because you want enough to well cover but only AFTER the spinach has wilted). Simmer gently for anything from 10 - 20 minutes then use a hand blender to blend it all together. Add a touch of nutmeg if you have it and serve with a large spoon of greek yoghurt per bowl.

Overmydeadbody Thu 06-Aug-09 11:49:49

Stir fries are quick.

Prep all the veg in the morning, then all you have to do is heat the wok and throw it all in for four minutes and cook up some rice or noodles to go with it.

Easy.

cyteen Thu 06-Aug-09 11:52:01

I made this pea and potato curry the other night and it was amazingly delicious. It's cheap, quick to make and should freeze/reheat fine

Beauregard Thu 06-Aug-09 14:48:12

ooh some lovely suggestions thankyou.

OhBling-I dont have any time to cook in the evening but soup sounds yummy and i never thought of using frozen veg tbh.I must invest in a blender i think too.

Grateful for more ideassmile

OhBling Thu 06-Aug-09 14:58:20

I just use a hand blender - cheap as chips at tesco and works perfectly for soups.

Roasted/stuffed veggies then are probably better than pasta options as you can make them in advance and just zap in the microwave even if time is very tight.

Another one you could make quickly in the morning and serve cold/room temperature is to thinly slice courgettes and fry them with some lemon zest, chilli and garlic and pine nuts and onions. Then mix them with couscous and make a sauce with soy sauce and lemon juice. For the meat eaters, pieces of chicken or prawn can be added on top when serving.

CharlotteVV Fri 07-Aug-09 12:13:39

Try some of these recipes:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/vegetarian-recipes/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now