Talk

Advanced search

Do these quantities for a BBQ sound about right? First timer!

(8 Posts)
notamumyetbutoneday Wed 05-Aug-09 11:47:01

We are holding our first bbq in a couple of weeks and I have NO idea about quantities but will have to guesstimiate somehow.

Do you think these quantities sound too much/too little?

2 burgers per person
2 sausages per person
1 chicken drumstick per person
1 veg kebab per person (plus more for one vegetarian whos coming)

Plus big bowls of:
pasta salad
potato salad
coleslaw
green salad
chickpea red onion salad
Plus crisps and dips

The food willbe cooked mid afternoon-ish plus im hoping there will be enough left over for the hardcore who will stay late into the night.

What do you think? Please don't be afraid to say if you think the quantities are way off!

bodiddly Wed 05-Aug-09 11:49:30

how about some french bread/rolls etc - that always helps pad things out a bit

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 05-Aug-09 11:51:58

Thanks bodidly- the burgers and sausages would be served in bread rolls- do you think i should have extra french bread as well?

Pinner35 Wed 05-Aug-09 11:54:22

I think that sounds loads.......usually people eat less than you think so you'll probably be OK.

thighsmadeofcheddar Wed 05-Aug-09 11:54:43

That sounds plenty (and delicious!)I always do a few more sausages though as they keep in the fridge for sandwiches and/or breakfasts...

pasta and pot salad very filling.

bodiddly Wed 05-Aug-09 12:01:52

My lot love french bread so would always have some ... nice for the vegetarians if they aren't having rolls etc.

notamumyetbutoneday Wed 05-Aug-09 12:04:18

Thanks all- you have reassured me! I was really worried about running out of food and just had no idea about how to calculate it.

Good point about french bread for vegetarians who won't be having the rolls, bodidly

OhBling Wed 05-Aug-09 17:35:55

Mmm... I think you're overcatering a bit actually. If it was me, I'd stick to two meat and one veggie option. With burgers, people tend to eat fewer (IME) but with sausages it's worth doing a few extra as everyone only takes one or two, but then they nibble on them. especially if they're good sausages (and please, please please, if this is your first bbq ,remember to be careful not to accidentally over cook them - it's easy to do).

I'd also serve the bread rolls seperately so that the vegetarian can have some and those having burgers/sausages just pick them up as they need them rather than you "packaging" them up as it were.

I also think the garlic bread is a good suggestion and would be temptd to replace either the potato or pasta salad with that instead? (if making your own garlic bread, a squeeze of lemon in the garlic butter can really lift it to a whole new level).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now