Talk

Advanced search

Inspire me to use my Kenwood!

(7 Posts)
SkaterGrrrrl Mon 03-Aug-09 16:24:42

I was given a Kenwood mixer 2 birthdays ago and it's gathering dust on the counter. People keep raving about them and saying how great they are... what does a Kenwood do well? What food shall I try making in it that will inspire me to use it more often? I like cooking and baking.

midnightexpress Mon 03-Aug-09 16:26:44

Great for bread and pizza dough.

And cakes, woman, cakes.

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 03-Aug-09 16:34:04

Thanks midnight. I have a bread maker so am more likely to try cakes.

How is it better than a bowl and a wooden spoon? I guess it does the egg beating better?

Hmm... cake.

midnightexpress Mon 03-Aug-09 16:37:08

It's better because you don't have to do it yourself grin. Seriously though, you know how recipes tell you to beat the butter and sugar until they are 'pale' - I never really got that until I used a mixer to do the mixing - it goes a completely different colour.

lou031205 Mon 03-Aug-09 16:50:21

Oh my goodness, they are fab! I have one. Playdough is a breeze. I made a batch in 3 minutes this morning, and only 30 seconds of that was mixing it. The dough hook is amazing.

I use it regularly for everyday tasks. So mashed potato using the Kbeater. I have some of the attachments. I use it for slicing carrots, mushrooms, etc., grating cheese for a cheese sauce.

Meringues are easily produced, anything that requires mixing, beating, etc.

Cakes are great. Actually, I use an all in one recipe, and I literally dump the ingredients in the bowl, whack the dial around, and pour/scrape the mixture into a tin. A cake mix takes about 45 seconds or 1 minute once you have weighed the ingredients.

Mayonnaise, etc. is also easily made in a kenwood.

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 03-Aug-09 16:58:33

Oooh, okay. So creaming butter & sugar and mash those are good starter tasks.

I have only used the dough hook of my Kenwood once, when DH went to a party dressed up as a pirate.

SkaterGrrrrl Fri 14-Aug-09 16:07:14

I made fish cakes from scratch in my Kenwood this week and they were lush - so thanks for encouraging me to use it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now