Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate fountain question, how much chocolate should I buy for it?

(7 Posts)
Overmydeadbody Mon 03-Aug-09 07:46:40

For a party, with about 25 people coming? I have never used one before and am helping my friend and we have one of these fountain thingies, thought it would be good to put it on and use it for once.

I know we could get the special chocolate for it but the instructions sa we can use normal chocolate bars, so would really appreciate some help with how much chocolate to buy and whether to add some veg oil to keep it running etc.

Thanks!

cositjustisok Mon 03-Aug-09 07:58:50

We use our chocolate fountain regularly but granted never for that amount of people. I am quite crap with quantities and always over supply. What i did want to say was the shop bought chocolate fountain chocolate I think works out really quite expensive and you would need quite a bit to make sure you dont run out if it (why i always over provide maybe).

I made up my mix and have changed it over the years... and it is always lovely. I tend to use a mix of fresh cream (or condensed milk or evaporated milk..all jsut as good really) and warm it up in a saucepan and add chocolate to it to you get a good running consistency. Probably a good idea to have some made up prior to the event for 25 people..you could warm it up in the microwave before putting in to the fountain.

Another good idea is to empty the fountain as soon as every one is finished as left to harden it would be a nightmare to clean....know this from experience.

good luck and enjoy the yumminess

Claire2301 Mon 03-Aug-09 08:00:07

Our one really doesn't require much chocolate, maybe the small (big bars- not the everyday ones the size up?) We've used it for four people with two of those and it was fine.

Have you got time to try it out beforehand just to see what it is like?

I do add a tiny bit of veg oil just to keep it smooth.

Have fun!

Overmydeadbody Mon 03-Aug-09 08:09:22

Thank you both!

Yes we are hoping to do a trial run of it first, as neither of us have ever used one before.

Will have to experiment with cream, evaporated milk and veg oil varieties!

So a kg of choc will be enough do you think?

cositjustisok Mon 03-Aug-09 08:13:32

Umm..as I say I always over provide )(and never learn). Think I would go for much much more....I was originally thinking of about 3kg..and about 4-5 cartons of cream..I would probably use about 500grms for 5 of us..but do love the leftover stuff as it is like a chocolate fondant type thing.. only nicer...Would love to hear what other peoples quantities are like!!!

Overmydeadbody Mon 03-Aug-09 08:21:13

wow, ok, so a lot? grin

There will be lots of other food provided too, and strawberries and skewers for the fountain, we want it to be lovely and fondouie, so the cream is a good idea.

What does one do with left overs? (or is that a stupid question?grin)

cositjustisok Mon 03-Aug-09 08:25:49

I always keep them....not sure if there is guests dipping fingers in (cos some will I am sure) etc etc what i would do though. the leftovers are the best if the cream is used and would love to hear what you think of it too.. Would seem terrible to throw it out if there was loads left. Think I would make up in batches as there will be other desserts and then less out and you can warm some up or make a new batch...takes no time really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now