Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyone who only eats wild meat/game?

(10 Posts)
Pruneurs Sun 02-Aug-09 20:24:50

Where do you find it and how often do you eat it?
Why do you choose not to eat farmed meat?

I am quite interested in giving up farmed meat. I'm an enthusiastic and experienced carnivore grin but I have never been able to justify to myself (not interested in justifying it to anyone else) how I can eat so much meat when I know it's a) unhealthy to do so, and b) really bad environmentally.

I already eat free-range/organic meat, that's not the issue.

(Well, plus the odd KFC, that'll have to go wink)

diedandgonetodevon Sun 02-Aug-09 20:28:49

Do you shoot at all?
We eat quite a lot of game as a by product of shooting though I draw the line at squirrel grin

Pruneurs Sun 02-Aug-09 20:30:26

I don't!
I do quite fancy squirrel....

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sun 02-Aug-09 20:32:35

I usually eat farmed meat from the butchers/tesco but have recently aquired a freezer full of lamb and venison that was slaughtered by DP. The venison he stalked and shot. And the lamb he got from a freind who keeps a few sheep.
I must say the taste and quality is second to none. Although you do have to wash the stray fur/hair off before cooking it grin

diedandgonetodevon Sun 02-Aug-09 20:34:09

I probably tastes like chicken!

Ok, are you rural? Getting to know the local gamekeepers will point you in the right direction also farmers as they often shoot rabbits.

Thunderduck Sun 02-Aug-09 21:05:58

I don't eat it exclusively but I eat more game, when in season,than I do farmed meat. I eat ethically farmed meat but I'm still more comfortable with game.

Pruneurs Sun 02-Aug-09 21:10:55

I'm not rural. My neighbour opposite keeps ferrets grin and goes off to the cuntry to get his own rabbits. I'm thinking of asking him if I can buy/barter for a few.

Thunderduck, where do you get your game?

diedandgonetodevon Sun 02-Aug-09 21:17:46

fat lot of use I am then grin

Thunderduck Sun 02-Aug-09 22:06:23

Dp goes shooting and we both practice falconry.

MayorNaze Sun 02-Aug-09 22:10:37

do you have a farm shop? i have had pheasant from there and think they might do rabbit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now