Talk

Advanced search

Dull question about rice

(4 Posts)
SecretSlattern Sun 02-Aug-09 17:47:05

Have just cooked a load of rice (always manage to mis-judge the right amount) and was wondering if I could freeze it and if so, when it comes time to defrost it, how would I do it?

Picante Sun 02-Aug-09 17:59:39

I'd chuck it tbh you need to be really careful about reheating rice - it's one of the commonest reasons for food poisoning.

hairymelons Sun 02-Aug-09 18:05:35

You can freeze it but need to be v careful, as Picante says it is a common source of food poisoning. It's to do with spores and a bit dull so won't go into it.
If you don't want to chuck it away, cool it down as quickly as poss- cold running water or an ice bath is good- then freeze straightaway. When you want to use it, make sure you get it piping hot (above 75C to be exact) and throw away what you don't use. Definately don't reheat again though.

Seona1973 Sun 02-Aug-09 20:14:46

the important thing is not to leave it sitting at room temperature too long as bacteria in the rice can start to multiply and produce toxins. These toxins arent destroyed by heating and can cause food poisoning. The best thing to do is cool as quickly as possible and then freeze in portions. I'd defrost in the fridge before heating or use a microwave on the defrost setting and then cook to piping hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now