Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much tuna per week?

(7 Posts)
kando Tue 24-May-05 11:01:29

Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the amount of tinned tuna kids can eat "safely"? DDs (aged 4 and 2) insist on having a tuna mayonnaise sandwich/pitta every lunchtime (and would eat the same for tea if I let them!) I read somewhere about limiting the amount of tuna but I think that was for fresh tuna (?) and possibly in relation to pregnant women. Can anyone put me straight?

NannyL Tue 24-May-05 11:24:31

i thought it was only fresh tuna as well (and fresh salmon)

rather than tinned.

i think you could eat as much fresh organic salmon as you like tho.

Thats all just from the top of my head so correct me if im wrong!

Mothernature Tue 24-May-05 11:25:37

Everyone should eat at least two portions of fish per week (one of which should be oily) because all fish has many health benefits.

Fresh tuna counts as oily fish, but tinned tuna does not. This is because the canning process removes much of the omega-3 oil, reducing it to the level of white (non-oily) fish. However, tinned tuna does count as a fish portion, just not an oily fish portion.

cori Tue 24-May-05 11:38:05

Are tinned sardines counted as an oily fish?

My midwife told me when I was pregnant that Tuna should only be eaten once per week. I think she was erring on the side of caution though.

Mothernature Tue 24-May-05 11:42:31

Oily fish include:
salmon
mackerel
fresh tuna (not tinned)
trout
sardines
pilchards
anchovies
sprats
whitebait
herring
kipper
swordfish
eel
carp
bloater
swordfish

White or non-oily fish
cod
plaice
tinned tuna
haddock
lemon sole
whiting
halibut
skate
red snapper
dover sole
hake
red and grey mullet
sea bass
monkfish
sea bream
turbot
shark
marlin

Mothernature Tue 24-May-05 11:43:12

Other tinned oily fish, such as sardines, pilchards and anchovies do count as oily fish - you just need to make sure you eat a full portion (140g).

cori Tue 24-May-05 11:44:16

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now