Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian chunk type things?

(7 Posts)
HolyGuacamole Sat 01-Aug-09 19:57:09

Hi, I wonder if the wisdom of MN can help? smile

Am visiting a friend in Italy who is vegetarian, she wants me to make her a curry when I'm over there. Only thing is, you can't really get things like Quorn chicken style chunks over there.

Does anyone know of anything I could take over on the plane? Obviously the quorn stuff will defrost, so I was wondering if there is something similar that is maybe dried or something? Even something like the chicken breast style ones and I can chop them up? All suggestions welcome grin

Many thanks.

janeite Sat 01-Aug-09 19:58:42

Step away from the chunk type things! Make a proper veggie curry, perhaps with chickpeas or lentils for protein. It will be much tastier.

GrinnyPig Sat 01-Aug-09 20:02:21

Well, if you are really determined to use Quorn why not take a bag of frozen Quorn pieces. If you pack it with an ice pack it will just defrost gently and be ready to put in the fridge when you get there and provided you make the curry the same or next day it will be fine.

I'm not sure about Italy, but when we go to Spain the supermarkets always have a great choice of lentils in jars which make a really good addition to vegetables in curries.

HolyGuacamole Sat 01-Aug-09 20:02:39

OMG, I am so thick I never even thought of that blush

If I put the link to my recipe, can anyone suggest which veggies would be best suited? big chunks of peppers, onions......and.....erm.....? Potatoes?

Here

blush blush blush blush smile

GrinnyPig Sat 01-Aug-09 20:06:13

Those suggestions sound fine. I'd put in mushrooms too and maybe some peas - anything really...

mummypig Sat 01-Aug-09 20:11:55

I would use chickpeas, extra spinach and yes, maybe potatoes. But it might be better to look for a proper vegetarian curry recipe than try to adapt a meat-based one. There are loads of good veggie curry recipes around.

How about aubergine, potato and chickpea balti? I would guess you could find all the ingredients in Italian shops except perhaps garam masala.

HolyGuacamole Sat 01-Aug-09 20:14:40

Aw thank you ladies, the aubergine one sounds fab. I'll show my friend both the recipes and ask her which one she wants best.

Many thanks again, panic over grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now