Talk

Advanced search

slow cooker questions - please help a new owner

(6 Posts)
thereistheball Sat 01-Aug-09 08:36:56

I took the advice I keep seeing here about just chucking stuff in to the slow cooker and it turning out nice - and so did not brown the mince before making a chilli in my new slow cooker this morning. Will it matter?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of a good slow cooker fish recipe please? I wondered if it would be good for making bouillabaisse?

stubbyfingers Sat 01-Aug-09 08:43:25

It will be fine. Browning does improve the flavour IMO, but you can get away with just bunging stuff in when you're pushed for time. You'll get to know what you prefer the more you use it.

sorry, I've never slow cooked fish!

thereistheball Sat 01-Aug-09 09:15:08

Thanks. Just lifted the lid to check on it (I know, but couldn't resist) and it does smell delicious. I added 72% dark chocolate and some smoked paprika for depth. Am dying to see how it turns out.

stubbyfingers Sat 01-Aug-09 09:50:28

ooh sounds good! Sounds like you've got it sussed really. smile

thereistheball Sat 01-Aug-09 09:54:41

Thanks stubbyfingers,

Anyone got any fish recipes? Or will it just disintegrate over a lengthy cooking time? In which case, what about fish stock recipes? Thanks in advance.

stubbyfingers Sat 01-Aug-09 10:04:15

Have you seen the monkfish recipe on this thread? It's for a monkfish stew which I reckon could work in a slow cooker as monkfish is quite meaty.

And if that's no use to you at least I've bumped this one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now