Talk

Advanced search

Recipes/meal ideas for mackerel and sardines

(9 Posts)
walkthedinosaur Fri 31-Jul-09 09:38:45

Am really skint and have a guest coming to stay next week so need to make really tasty, healthy meals. I've been buying mackerel and sardines lately because they're in season and they're dirt cheap, can buy 6 mackerel for around ?2 so perfect.

I put them on the barbecue and that works out fine but doesn anyone have any recipes and meal ideas that I can do in the house.

I'm not that great a cook or very imaginative in the kitchen, but can follow a recipe quite well.

Many thanks

fishie Fri 31-Jul-09 09:48:42

mackerel teriyaki is nice. have a poke round google - you can serve with rice and steamed greens so nice and cheap and exotic too.

Blackduck Fri 31-Jul-09 10:07:11

Look for curry recipes, both mackerel and sardines work well curried...

StinkyFart Fri 31-Jul-09 10:12:14

mackerel mixed with creme fraiche and horseradish is nommy - serve with green salad and crusty bread

raspberrytart Fri 31-Jul-09 19:37:16

Fry an onion with some garlic and chopped chilli add capers/olives if you have them,chopped tomatoes add fish till its warmed through.serve with spaghetti
BBc has a sardine recipe which I thnk is similar to the above but with chick peas instead of spaghetti.
Grilled with herb butter and new pots and veg

KellyDD Thu 27-Aug-09 11:38:09

Great with potato salads or make into fishcakes you can use any fish in place of the salmon

Agree with stinkyfart - creme fraiche & horseradish YUM!

giddykipper Thu 27-Aug-09 11:40:10

My mum makes a very simple but delicious mackerel pie - mackerel in the bottom of the dish with sliced onions and plenty pepper. Put sliced potatoes on the top, dot with butter, put in the oven until the potatoes are cooked (no idea how long/what temperature, we're not scientific chefs in our family!)

MrSeptember Thu 27-Aug-09 17:25:23

If the weather is nice, your bbq plan is great - I serve grilled mackerel with just a big green salad and some lovely bread or new potatos.

KellyDD Wed 09-Sep-09 12:21:26

Hmm you could serve a salad? Try this:

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/smoked-mackerel-and-potato-salad/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now